Article <slrnv9a4i9.c4q.theise@panix2.panix.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<slrnv9a4i9.c4q.theise@panix2.panix.com>

From: Ted Heise <theise@panix.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: New Bike Path
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2024 12:12:57 -0000 (UTC)
 <z9VjO.57191$VBH2.30514@fx16.ams4> <v6qu9q$2jvdo$1@dont-email.me>
 <v6tqe7$3ih7q$4@dont-email.me> <v6u41v$3kevu$2@dont-email.me>
 <7v559j1bs0ia511gls5thk96njrfearrl7@4ax.com>
 <fn469jle66ns0qes1ofltqpmoguihrrs1b@4ax.com>
 <d7079jt0gulma0443d6a4u3tmn4n2s1obf@4ax.com>
 <jf089j5lrahnp7oi87594l0bles2oi23k4@4ax.com>
 <slrnv9831s.ibg.theise@panix2.panix.com>
 <4b389j902hgghq9epj8jbk0j01a23i33g9@4ax.com>
 <g9489j19h7jvmhsfedm6orfcfngupoj0ep@4ax.com>
 <oj489j9he39kqq36sufp79rehoa00cdaio@4ax.com>
 <slrnv98b3t.bl1.theise@panix2.panix.com> <v71c5v$9r6n$1@dont-email.me>

On Sun, 14 Jul 2024 15:24:32 -0500,
  AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>  On 7/14/2024 2:52 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 Jul 2024 11:13:10 -0700,
> >    Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote:

> >>   Well, if aroma is what you really want, may I suggest what
> >>   I did in college.  I had an early nebulizer:
> >> <https://www.google.com/search?q=nebulizer&tbm=isch>
> >>   I loaded it with all kinds of intoxicating and psychoactive
> >>   chemicals. The idea was to vaporize the liquid and absorb
> >>   it through the lungs or in some cases, through the skin:
> >> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_inhalation>
> >>
> >>   Hint:  Ingesting alcoholic beverages through the stomach is
> >>   inefficient.  Most of the alcohol is removed by the kidneys
> >>   and liver. Entering through the lungs is more efficient
> >>   because the alcohol goes directly into the blood stream...
> >
> > Oh my, and I thought drinking absolute ethanol was
> > adventurous.
> >
>  That brings memories! When Rich 'Captain America' Hammen was
>  national road champion, local parties featured pilfered 95%
>  ethanol from the Chemistry Department.
>
>  I quickly learned to not drink that.

Yeah, 95% ethanol can get you stupid drunk in a hurry.  On the
other hand, absolute (i.e., > 99% ethanol) has additional risks.

Ethanol (EtOH) forms an azeotrope with water, so 95% is the max
purity that can be achieved by typical distillation.  Getting to
higher concentrations requires special techniques.  Historically,
this was done by including benzene in the distillation to disrupt
the EtOH/water affinity.  This process typically leaves traces of
benzene in the resulting product.  Indeed, the EtOH I pilfered
from the lab tasted horrid, even mixed with orange juice.

More recently, molecular sieves are used to make absolute ethanol.
Even without trace benzene there are risks--because of the high
affinity between EtOH and water, if you dring neat absolute EtOH
it will suck the water right out of contacting tissues.  Not good.

--
Ted Heise      <theise@panix.com>       West Lafayette, IN, USA