Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<sm04j90ytt5.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

From: Anssi Saari <anssi.saari@usenet.mail.kapsi.fi>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: WiFi enabled cable modems or WiFi routers for Linux?
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2024 15:03:34 +0300
	sha1:RAYv/Zpvhxsm2fXRAYx8H8TGDtI=

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes:

>  I take it you are not in the UK?
> Perhaps the way it is regulated here is better. BT openreach have a
> virtual monopoly of fibre, and twistted pair copper but they are
> required to sell to any ISP who asks them

Interesting. Here in Finland copper was "socialized" like that but then
the telcos just screwed each other over when one tried to encroach on
another's turf so it didn't work much. Bureaucrats later decided the
same is not needed for fibre for some reason.

Regardless, I got fibre from a provider who called it "open" so there
are alternative ISPs to choose from. Recently some of them even got
competetitive so I switched. So I have no hardware from the ISP, just
the fibre terminal thing from the fibre provider and I connect my Debian
router to it by ethernet.

In recent years also, some big money investors have pushed fibre in
Finland so now you can get fibre for free, mostly for detached houses
since apartment buildings are mostly hooked up. Makes one wonder what
happens to the prices when those investors sell their stakes in the
fibre companies.