Article <ssedneQEAZdv-VT7nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ssedneQEAZdv-VT7nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

Subject: Re: Using Debian to manage a multiple OS machine
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
 <%9MxO.668885$89y.15052@fx18.iad> <va8rqs$otgt$1@dont-email.me>
 <JFGdnf6vGo2fvFX7nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
 <va9876$qcj0$1@dont-email.me> <liqmt0FqsgtU2@mid.individual.net>
 <OQ6dnRNhof67s1X7nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@earthlink.com>
 <va9c42$qu2h$1@dont-email.me>
From: "186282@ud0s4.net" <186283@ud0s4.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2024 00:43:29 -0400

On 8/23/24 3:01 AM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Aug 2024 02:37:25 -0400, 186282@ud0s4.net wrote:
>
>> On 8/23/24 2:01 AM, vallor wrote:

>>> Great strides have been made with proton -- I can play Starfield, Elite
>>> Dangerous Odyssey, Borderlands 3, and Tiny Tina's Wonderland.
>>>
>>> People who say you can't game on Linux haven't been keeping up with the
>>> times...
>>
>> Ummmm ... I'd say "benchmark" ....
>
> Let’s just say, the Steam Deck wipes the floor with the Windows-based
> competition.

  It IS "better" in that respect.

  However I'm a tad concerned about HOW it manages
  that ... how 'compatible' it is now and in the
  future. "Tricks" are not always for the better.
  Extreme game orientation can mean serious deficits
  for OTHER apps/intentions. More or less direct
  access to the hardware, video buffers, can vastly
  improve 'game' speed - but DO present a number
  of security risks as well.

  We've also seen WayLand ... which was supposed to
  provide 'much more performance' than X. Alas it
  is now clear it will NEVER be ready for prime time.
  Good try, but .......

  Anyhow, we shall see ... the next few years will be
  very informative.

  For now, I'm gonna say Steam for games - but X
  for everything else.