Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<t4n41j96ddgmmkmdg66j762ctbkj9vqaa3@4ax.com>

From: Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Favourite Test Equipment
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 09:50:50 +0100

On Sat, 06 Apr 2024 14:48:38 -0700, John Larkin <jl@997PotHill.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Apr 2024 22:21:45 +0100, Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 05 Apr 2024 10:15:43 -0700, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:

>>>He talked constantly about wine. That can kill your pancreas.
>>>
>>>There are people who drink bottles per day.
>>
>>Oh yes, he loved his wine alright. As I recall, you sent him several
>>cases of the stuff over the years.  But no amount of peace offerings
>>could placate Jim if he felt you'd disrespected him. Anyway, all
>>credit to you for at least trying to heal the rift, even if it came to
>>naught.
>
>I think I sent him two bottles of Frog's Tooth, not cases.
>
>I get the Frog's Tooth free. The vintner is also our sales rep for
>pick+place gear, and he throws in a bottle or a case with every big
>order.
>
>JT was a little touchy at times (never me!) but we didn't actually
>have a rift. I think that serious electronics designers always get
>along pretty well. Circuit design is a sport that we play.
>
>I miss JT. He was fun. I often drive on Thompkins Street and it
>reminds me of him.

I think the passage of time has mellowed your recollections, John.
Shortly after he died, you called him a crabby old man! There was
something about you he clearly didn't much like. No idea why, since
you've never come across as anything but well-mannered and helpful as
far as I can tell.
Jim gave me a hell of a rough time when I first arrived here back in
'96. He didn't suffer fools gladly and boy did he let me know when he
believed I was one. But that did me a huge favour. He did have a point
inasmuch as my fundamental electronics knowledge needed a lot of
remedial attention. So he forced me to sit down and go back through
all the stuff I should have known before I came here and I became much
better for it. And when I finally did, he praised me for it. Praise
from Jim was praise indeed! He was a GIANT of this group and I miss
him terribly, too.