Article <tWSqEjfxX9QQDg-63SH9iJ-NA5k@jntp>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<tWSqEjfxX9QQDg-63SH9iJ-NA5k@jntp>

Subject: Re: Langevin's paradox again
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
JNTP-HashClient: LeCRmHsfTJsirik8my24p0YvWNQ
JNTP-ThreadID: sxhQQgyUgiiv6OcO_6O_beeL7bk
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=tWSqEjfxX9QQDg-63SH9iJ-NA5k@jntp
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 24 20:51:58 +0000
From: Richard Hachel <r.hachel@wanadou.fr>

Le 19/07/2024 à 22:27, nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder) a écrit :

> Some relativistic storage rings can be operated in single partcle mode.
> And it is possible, easy in fact,
> to detect each passing of the particle.
> So yo can just read your (electronic) stopwatch
> to measure the once-round the ring time,
>
> Jan

That's not what I'm talking about, and I'm saddened that Paul B. Andersen,
who is not an idiot, who is not a thug, who is not a bandit, does not do
the effort to understand what I have been saying and why I have been
saying it for 40 years.
It is obvious that if I place a proton in a circular ring, I will have to
calculate very precisely when the proton passes, and that this calculation
can only be done by the laboratory watches.

But if I could put a watch on the proton, and I asked it how long it takes
to complete one revolution, the proton would tell me "much, much less time
than the lab clocks say."
This is called duration dilation.

Paul thinks I'm telling him that when the proton makes one revolution, in
fact, it makes 6947 revolutions. This is absurd.
No one has ever said such stupidity.
That's not what I said, but: "The speed measured in the laboratory is not
the real speed, it's just an observable data. The proton goes much
faster."

In this sense, in relativity, ALL speeds are possible from zero to
infinity, but we will never be able to measure an observable speed faster
than c, because of the structure of space and time and the laws that unite
them.

R.H.