Article <tfidvi5hact5hnt1l3o080ld9emg73ak29@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<tfidvi5hact5hnt1l3o080ld9emg73ak29@4ax.com>

From: Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Some traffic stats
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 06:46:47 -0400
References: <ussvnf$142oh$1@dont-email.me> <ust0vb$1490h$2@dont-email.me> <ustspf$1dksi$1@dont-email.me> <mi25vipm9o19j1sgqhqlkbfnfk6q8s1t4b@4ax.com> <usvos4$1riuq$1@dont-email.me> <haq6vip4kvbbb54u27jnesi4mgh1elaahk@4ax.com> <usvq04$1rp3m$1@dont-email.me> <ut1bj3$1j2ae$5@dont-email.me> <6gc8vihei08uve9r36npfflj37acqldnur@4ax.com> <ut2ugs$2ikeo$2@dont-email.me> <38iavih57uuqb6n5j42012qftgjqsbh2jb@4ax.com> <ut4fe0$2vf1h$1@dont-email.me> <ut6h0u$3fk84$1@dont-email.me>

On Sun, 17 Mar 2024 06:35:09 -0400, zen cycle
<funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 3/16/2024 11:55 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> On 3/16/2024 3:35 AM, Catrike Ryder wrote:

>>> <EYEROLL> I will repeat for those who are too simple minded to
>>> understand it the first time...
>>>
>>> There many, many more than twice the number of pedestrians than
>>> bicyclists, Dummy, and yet the number of pedestrian accidents is less
>>> than twice the number of bicycling accidents.
>>> Case in point:
>>> There are more people hurt or killed by way of bicycle accidents than
>>> there are for mountain climbers, so by Krygowski's standards,
>>> bicycling is more dangerous than mountain climbing.
>>>
>>> Furthermore, the previous claim of comparing the mileage is also a
>>> ridiculously stupid way to evaluate the statistics given the total
>>> amount of time the personas engaged in the activities are vulnerable
>>> to having an accident.
>>
>> Ah! The Florida bike path denizen seems to be dimly realizing that
>> different metrics are possible! That is, one can measure relative
>> "danger" per participant, per hour, per mile, per trip, etc. And perhaps
>> he may someday realize the fundamental metric might be measurement of
>> benefit vs. detriment - for example, does an activity confer more or
>> less health, more or fewer years of life, etc.
>>
>> Rational intelligent people could discuss the merits of these metrics.
>> But the Florida bike path denizen wouldn't qualify.
>>
>> Still, I always wonder what makes an avid cyclist argue so strongly that
>> riding a bicycle is terribly dangerous?
>>
>> I think it's fear. More specifically, if a man "proves" that riding
>> anywhere but on a bike path (and while carrying a gun "for protection"!)
>> is so, so dangerous, he feels a bit better about his own timidity.
>>
>> Likewise, saying that bicycling requires no knowledge or skill beyond
>> balancing makes him feel a bit better about his near-total ignorance.
>>
>> It's a variation of a common theme: "Nobody needs to know math! I been a
>> successful garbage man for years and I ain't never passed a math class!"
>>

>much like kunich, the floriduh dumbass reads what he he _wants_ the data
>to say, rather than what it actually does say.

There are more people hurt or killed by way of bicycle accidents than
there are for mountain climbers, so by Junior Carrington and
Krygowski's standards, bicycling is more dangerous than mountain
climbing.

<GRIN> Like I said, some people (Junior Carrington and Krygowski) are
too simple minded to look into the data and evaluate what it says.