Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<tuScnfYFsN-ksPv7nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2024 18:31:20 -0400
From: bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net>
Subject: Re: State Farm files patent for system to suppress calls and text
 while driving
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
 <lcl6kpFf3d1U3@mid.individual.net> <v448hf$3gk5t$1@dont-email.me>
 <CjGdnQyuFOUSNfj7nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>
 <v44tii$3n5tb$1@dont-email.me>
 <rv-dnbCGr8mjYfj7nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>
 <v44ugv$9de$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>
 <DYidnbvUv7nTmPv7nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>
 <v451ak$cv9$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>
 <CmydnVvfW99BhPv7nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>
 <v45706$12ba$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

On 6/9/24 17:31, Andrew wrote:
> bad sector wrote on Sun, 9 Jun 2024 17:08:44 -0400 :
>
>>> Most "tire ads" are bullshit. They play on emotion. And fear.
>>
>> Of course they are, and stupid people try to drive on them expecting
>> friction that is non-existant i.e. the ads modify their driving
>> behavior.
>
> Just as the coefficient of friction is stamped on every passenger brake pad
> sold in the USA, the straightline wet/dry asphalt/concrete friction rating
> is stamped on every passenger vehicle tire sold in the United States.

There is no such thing as "the" coefficient of friction because that
varies with conditions. The advertised one is under specified conditions
only but it will vary almost infinitely with the JBI index applicable
under the environmental variables.

>> How many of your accident reports cite tire ads as the cause?
>
> My main point about advertisements was only that most people believe in
> myths because advertising is the only information they get about things.

And my main point with tire ads was that misleading ads adversely modify
driving behavior, serving as an example of how cell-phones do the same.

>> Everyone watches tire ads yet there seems to be no increase in accident
>> rates. Accidents and rate changes MUST be correlated else they are just
>> statistical noise plus no one will admit that they were on the phone
>> just before an accident and most won't even be aware that 500 feet
>> earlier they were hydroplaning because they weere on the phone which
>> they will deny anyway.
>
> If you're trying to say that the astronomical increase in accident rates
> that you predicted from cellphone use was somehow covered up in the
> numbers, then all you're really saying is you believe in every myth.

You are the only one who brings up accident rates, everyone else or at
least most others talk about cell-phones being dangerous regardles of
accident rates.

> Think about this observation before you respond with more myths...
>
> Given cellphone use in vehicles went from 0% to almost 100% in a meteoric
> rise in just a handful of years, why does the accident rate increase that
> you predict show a _decrease_ in accident rate over that same time period?

Do you have evidence that without cellphones the accident rate would not
be in a nosedive so that even a steady rate could well hide monumental
cell-phone causality?

> If your claim is that "something else" was as astronomically high during
> EXACTLY the same time period (including levelling off at EXACTLY the same
> time), then what is that "something else" please?

I do not claim anything in term of accidents or accident rates, what I
do is express the not at all humble opinion that hand-held or bluetooth
cell-phone use while driving is very dangerous and should be totally
outlawed or very strictly limited.

> The fact is most people are incredibly stupid in that they believe myths.
> Their entire belief system isn't backed up by even a _single_ fact!

The myth is that with tire brand X you can drive in a continuous drift
and on walls, and that cell-phone or visual display use while driving is
as safe as being focused and on mental high-beam every minute while
driving. THESE are the myths.