Article <u82cnVISw_fySlP7nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<u82cnVISw_fySlP7nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

Subject: Re: privileged user in RedHat
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: "186282@ud0s4.net" <186283@ud0s4.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 03:53:18 -0400

On 8/28/24 2:21 AM, Marco Moock wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Is there any definition for the word "privileged user" in the Linux
> (especially RedHat) environment?

   User 'root' is the only, initially, "privileged user".

   Open a terminal, type 'su', enter the password (which
   should be DIFFERENT from that of any other user you
   created during install). Root has access to EVERYTHING,
   therefore the desire for the different password.

   (note that 'sudo' kinda breaks this security measure, so
   research and set it CAREFULLY). You do NOT have to use
   'visudo' ... but then it's on YOU to get it 100% right.
   Anything 'vi' I tend to REMOVE because I find line-editors
   SO offensive these days.

   When IBM-PCs, DOS 1.x, came out there was 'edlin' - a
   "line editor". You were expected to use it when editing
   text/config files. I despised the concept SO much I wrote
   a 'nano'-like editor, in assembler lang, as a replacement.
   I just REALLY hate line editors ...... the tech do do
   much better existed from WAY back.

> I am currently learning RedHat OpenShift and the courses include a
> question where the answer is that 2 containers run with UID 27 are
> called privileged. (DO190 ch03s08 if you have access).
>
> I am aware that it is common that normal (real people) users start with
> 1000 ongoing, server process users are below. Is there a difference on
> the IDs or is that just tradition?

   It is "tradition" now to set the first 'regular' user
   to ID 1000, group 1000. Not all 'unix-like' systems
   may obey the same traditions, but Linux distros kinda
   all go that way.

   The SYSTEM doesn't really care about the ID numbers.

   While there are terminal-line utilities, you can also
   edit /etc/groups and /etc/passwd using something like
   'nano' and add/remove users from the privileges of
   the root user. DO be CAREFUL ! Get it right. Plenty
   of docs on the net.

   Linux has a rep for security. To keep that intact
   please do NOT run apps and such as "root" unless
   absolutely necessary.

   Yea, yea ... with Win you have to use the Administrator
   privs kinda often or you can't do dick .......

   As for 'sudo' ... there ARE ways to force it to
   require the ROOT password instead of the regular
   USER password. This is much more secure. DO
   research it on the net. The /etc/sudoers file
   is where you make the, careful, changes.

   Oh, Raspberry Pi's ... 'sudo' often requires NO
   password. NOT great.