Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uiu6ckxaub.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

From: "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Codes sent by text message
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 22:38:06 +0100

On 2024-03-12 21:21, VanguardLH wrote:
> "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2024-03-12 13:53, Newyana2 wrote:
>>> "AJL" <noemail@none.org> wrote

>>>      As Carlos put it, people addicted to cellphones
>>> would like to believe that everyone else "does not matter".
>>> They not only want cellphone options, they want cellphone
>>> interaction to be enforced as the only option. They
>>> want to live in Cellphone World.
>>
>> Addicted? No, simply banks are using a device that everybody has,
>> instead of making their clients buy an extra hardware device, not cheap,
>> for needed extra security. You do have other options if you insist.
>
> Personally I would prefer if the trend were toward using USB security
> sticks instead of SMS and e-mail.  One problem there might be: having to
> use a computer that has no USB ports, or they've been disabled.  Another
> problem is no one is going to attach the USB stick to a cord attached to
> their body: when they leave the computer, the USB stick must go with
> them.  Instead the sticks are left plugged into a USB port, so anyone
> with physical access to the computer can login using the stick just like
> the owner can.  The problem of physical access also applies to phones.

There are safer methods than the mobile phone, but their rationale is
"you already have a phone, so implementing this is very cheap".

Of course, a percent doesn't have a phone, but those are not their
objective client, and probably they will provide some other means.

> As for cost, if every computer could use a Yubi security key, the $25
> would be worth the freedom of relying on a phone.  Weren't some
> Europeans charged and fined for pretending to be someone else's phone
> through SIM card swap they foisted on the carrier?

SIM swap attack is a thing, yes. They can thus receive verification
SMSs, but probably not banking app messages.

> What Is a SIM Swap Attack and How Can You Prevent It?
>
> When getting an SMS text, there is no verification that the receiving
> phone's IMEI is the one to where the text was intended to drop.  If the
> IMEI were involved, you'd have to re-register with whomever is sending
> 2FA codes via texts to give them yet another piece of valuable info: the
> IMEI of your phone.  When you change or add phones, you have to update
> all your accounts to give them another IMEI.  But SMS doesn't link to
> IMEI, so there SMS is not secured either during transmission nor
> guarantee which phone the SMS targets.
>
> Maybe if all computers had biometric input (camera for eyes and sensor
> for fingers and mic for voice) then the verification really would be to
> a person, not the expectation of a device or service to which that
> person -- or someone else -- has access.  Phones and laptops have those
> bio devices (well, maybe not all have finger sensors), but only a
> fraction of desktops have even 2 of them.  I don't have a camera on my
> desktop.  I don't do video chats.  I have a mic only when I plug in my
> headset.  I'd have to buy a fingerprint sensor.  Bio verification isn't
> going to happen on desktops until those devices are built in by default
> whether pre-builts or own builts, not appended on.

Most recent laptops have finger print sensors and cameras. But I don't
have software that uses the former (nor the later, for purposes of ID).

> When sent a 2FA code, how long before you have to use it.  Typically the
> expiration is 5 to 15 minutes.  Pretty long time, but they have to
> account for delay in SMS transport, and time for users to enter the 2FA
> code.  Some phone users are handicapped, so they don't quickly enter
> anything.  Do the 2FA codes automatically and immediately expire upon
> use, or are they still valid for the original time allowed for
> expiration?

They expire on use. Ie, they are single use.

>  I hope that the site enforces automatic expiration on use,
> but I haven't verified this is the case.  Anyway, the long expiration
> time to wait for use of the 2FA code means a larger window of
> opportunity for interception.  SMS and e-mail are not secure
> communication venues.  That's why I'm thinking TOTP would be a better
> choice; however, doesn't seem that every site wanting to use 2FA
> supports TOTP, and it seems you must have the particular TOTP
> authenticator that they expect you to use which, to me, hints the
> communication protocol is not yet standardized to allow use of *any*
> TOTP authenticator.  One site uses Authy, another uses Symantec VIP, and
> another requires something else.

Yeah, but for many purposes SMS is good enough. It doesn't have to be
failsafe, but only to block a high enough percent of the "attacks".

> Does everyone that gets a new phone, or just a new SIM card, always get
> a new phone number, and keep that one?

Depends.

I have the same mobile phone number since around 1999. Other people
change(d) it frequently, because they use offerings by various providers.

Mine was first a pay as you go prepaid card, at some point upgraded to
contract, and at some point migrated to another company (for free).

Then, when I travel to Canada I get a local number that is valid only
for a month.

--
Cheers, Carlos.