Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ujlb2j9b3j7815rgmrnr1pss7ta2htc2mo@4ax.com>

From: shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-18 (Thursday)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 23:23:45 -0400
References: <UBI20240419@dont-email.me> <uvtokk$30crk$1@dont-email.me> <h9q42j5irt8554ub4jl3vuq83v7emo5vvv@4ax.com> <1145499069.735231138.694186.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <v039hq$br0g$1@dont-email.me> <284127956.735425216.113250.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <1584834823.735435434.850962.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <3ddb2jh6fcnkv5imn6dqe1b9pt8sssq4ec@4ax.com> <407348378.735447041.947241.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:09:56 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 16:56:09 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Is it new that he’s insane? For that matter is it new that Jessica Cruz is
>>> insane?
>>>

>> I don't know. Not familiar with either of those characters. Perhaps
>> they were introduced to the comics after I quit reading them. Much
>
>Star Boy has been around since 1961. :-) Originally he had all of Superboy
>powers plus the ability to increase the mass of objects to get around the
>duplicate powers rule. Somewhere along the line, he lost the Superboy
>powers wiki says he’s gone through several incarnations and costume changes
>and race swaps. Apparently he’s been insane since the 2006 version which is
>well after I stopped reading the Legion.

Hmm, don't recall ever having heard of him. If he was just in Legion
books then that might explain it. I was never a huge comic book fan as
I just didn't have the money to buy more than a rare comic book when I
was young enough to really want to read them. Then as I got older I
was more into reading science fiction books. So the only comics I've
read in decades were those that JMS joined in on.

>Jessica Cruz has only been around for 10 years, long after I stopped
>reading the Legion. I was puzzled as to why I knew who she was until I
>finally recalled that someone I know cosplay as her
Good reason to remember the character.

>Wikipedia says that this was a fairly faithful version, except that it was
>darkseid that Smashed her ring and killed her and the ring brought her back
>more powerful than before

So if the ring can do that why didn't it do it for anyone else?

>> like with Hal Jordan turning truly evil in that other animated flick.
>> That was never my Hal Jordan.
>
>I actually remember that from the comics, but yeah, that was not my Hal
>Jordan either

So they actually did that in the comics? Nothing like destroying a
beloved character. Guess that was a new writer pissing on the ground
to mark his new territory.

> [...]
>>> looks to be 3-D for 2-D. But it balances that out by having the older voice
>>> cast.
>>>
>>> I’m completely confused by the continuity. The justice league that had
>>> Supergirl certainly knew about the Legion. But these guys don’t.
>>>
>>> I take it we actually see the end of the green lantern corp in this movie.
>>
>> We don't know why it ends but they clearly aren't around in this
>> future.
>>
>>> I don’t know who the Legion we see at the end of the movie is, but it’s
>>> certainly not the Legion we saw the beginning. Jessica Cruz thanks for them
>>> for coming to the funeral because the dead guy thought so highly of them.
>>> But in fact, the dead guy never would’ve met these people.
>>
>> What do you mean? Those are among the people that he worked with.
>
>That’s a completely different Saturn girl/Saturn Queen at the end than it
>was in the beginning. I wouldn’t even have known who it was if she didn’t
>have the Saturn logo on her chest.
>

>> Hell, one of them even asked him at the beginning of the movie if he
>> had taken his shot and warning him that "You know what happens if you
>> don't take your shot." So of course they knew him.
>
>Yeah, that was the beginning Saturn girl, who was like the comics.
>

>>> I liked Mano (the hands of fate) accidentally burning off the Empress’
>>> face. Wikipedia says Jessica killed them all? I guess I blinked. Certainly
>>> Saturn girl should be pissed at her.
>>
>> Given that they aren't normal humans who knows if they were actually
>> killed or not. Not sure how dangerous the Empress would be without her
>> EYE.
>
>That was another stupid part of her plan.
>

>>> Actually, the Empress plan has another fatal flaw. Almost all those other
>>> worlds were settled by travelers from earth. Destroying the solar system in
>>> the 21st-century is going to un-create everybody on her team.
>>
>> Yeah, I don't know what the rules are in that universe for time
>> travel, but normally what you say is how time travel would work.
>>
>>> There’s no way Batman should have been able to go mano on mano on Mano.
>>>
>>> So the ax can slice a ring in half! And Jessica uses Hal’s oath, and
>>> somehow saying it without a power battery or a main power battery or a
>>> ring, or any green energy at all manages to reform the ring and power
>>> herself? I don’t think so.
>>
>> Yeah, they were going with her being somehow more powerful than anyone
>> else in the GL, perhaps because she conquered her fears. Sort of like
>> Batman dealing with his fears of bats by becoming the Night. Notice
>> how when she powers up she gets that aiming reticule around her eye. I
>> had thought she was going to somehow get this magical power up by
>> gathering up the remnants of power on Oa or Mogo, but nope. She just
>> becomes ultra powerful because she becomes ultra powerful.
>>

>Wiki sorry I’ve explains this. They took a storyline with different people
>and powers and grafted it onto this movie. Which is probably why it didn’t

At least tonight's resurrection made more sense. Just finished
rewatching JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK APOKOLIPS WAR where two people get
resurrected but at least there is a reason why it happened that fits
in with what we've seen before.