Article <ulcucjt0qlprucdnbqarf5t734j48snm0u@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ulcucjt0qlprucdnbqarf5t734j48snm0u@4ax.com>

From: Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: counting bicyclists and pedestrians
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 07:43:26 -0700

On Wed, 28 Aug 2024 11:25:42 +0200, Rolf Mantel
<news@hartig-mantel.de> wrote:

>Am 27.08.2024 um 20:15 schrieb Jeff Liebermann:
>> On Tue, 27 Aug 2024 13:01:42 -0400, Catrike Ryder
>> <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Tampa Installs First Eco-Counter To Track Pedestrian And Bicycle
>>> Traffic
>>> https://www.tampafp.com/tampa-installs-first-eco-counter-to-track-pedestrian-and-bicycle-traffic/
>>>
>>> No comment.....
>>
>> Tampa is behind the times.
>> San Francisco has had two since 2013 and 2016 respectively.  The
>> counts are only for bicycles, not pedestrians:
>> <https://eco-display-map.eco-counter.com/site/100117681?granularity=P1D&year=2013>
>> <https://eco-display-map.eco-counter.com/site/100131792?granularity=P1D&year=2016>
>>
>> Current 2024 data:
>> <https://eco-display-map.eco-counter.com/site/100117681?granularity=P1D>
>> <https://eco-display-map.eco-counter.com/site/100131792?granularity=P1D>
>
>Bicycle counting is "easy" via induction loops on the ground (at
>locations where cars cannot drive); directional counting works by having
>two counting loops with a few yards distance.
>
>Tampa claims to count pedestriany as well.  Does anybody know how they
>do that?

"Bike counters: how do they work?"
<https://www.eco-counter.com/blog/bike-counters-how-do-they-work/>
The article doesn't indicate which technology is used by Eco-Counter.
My guess(tm) is ZELT (induction loop):
"...an algorithm analyzes the bicycle’s electromagnetic signal and
decides whether to count the passerby according to 13 differentiation
criteria with an accuracy of 95%."

For detecting humans, PYRO (thermal detection) is used:
"The PYRO detects the heat of a human body passing the sensor and is
able to count pedestrians and cyclists, without differentiation. The
discreet sensor is programmed to count based on the standard range of
human body temperature, thereby reducing the likelihood that other
passersby, such as wildlife, will be counted."

ZELT:
<https://www.eco-counter.com/produits/zelt-range/urban-zelt/>

PYRO:
<https://www.eco-counter.com/produits/pyro-range/>

The eco-counter web designers went through considerable effort to
showcase their artistic brilliance by hiding useful information over a
multitude of web pages.  Each page has about 4 buttons to push,
leading to other web pages with 4 buttons, and so on.  I gave up after
following the maze only 2 levels deep, with no end in sight.  I had
better luck using Google search to find useful information.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com