Article <usfnkh$13n9o$1@solani.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usfnkh$13n9o$1@solani.org>

From: Physfitfreak <Physfitfreak@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Prog Challenge
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:06:57 -0600

On 3/8/2024 12:07 PM, Physfitfreak wrote:
> On 3/8/2024 10:04 AM, Nuxxie wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 15:43:54 +0000, Nuxxie wrote:
>>

>>> 1/37252902384619140625
>>>

>>> The decimal expansion will begin with 11 digits followed by a repeating
>>> porion of length 54,494,498,496.
>>>
>>> This number would need 64 GiB of memory, but we could write it out to a
>>> file using Maxima or bc or GMP.
>>>

>> Someone please write out this number to a file.  As 1 byte per character
>> it should be about 55 GiB in size.
>>
>> Then verify that the decimals start with 11 digits and then repeat
>> after 54,494,498,496 + 11 digits.  Just verify that the first 100 or
>> so digits are the same.
>>
>> Y'all have big, fat mouths.  Let's see if that can translate into
>> serious computing action.
>>
>> The first to do it will receive a BIG PRIZE.
>>

> Again, you're turning the spoon twice around your head before placing it
> in your mouth to eat your soup.
>
> If you're after _proving_, mathematically, that a method will give the
> repeating decimals, that's another matter. And I'm not good at that and
> am not interested in stuff and degree of precise logic that
> mathematicians are accustomed to and apply in their proofs. My
> background is not math. That's why.
>
> But if you're only interested in the answer, then method of nines is the
> simplest and fastest way of getting it.
>
> If you haven't seen it, then what kind of numerical methods class did
> you attend? You must be way younger than me. I'm thinking the generation
> after me with access to much better computers didn't need all that nitty
> gritty to get by, and therefore profs simply omitted a bulk of such
> material from the courses.
>
> With an almost two lines of program, one can find a number consisting
> only of digits of 9, for which the denominator of the fraction is a
> divisor. Then with one more line of code, the fraction is rewritten with
> that denominator consisting of 9's. The numerator thus obtained will be
> the decimals that get repeated. As simple as that.
>
> How many lines of code is that? 3 ? At most 4.
>
> Example. Say we want to find the repeating decimals of 14/33 without
> actually dividing the two numbers to visually find that out, but by
> knowing in advance what those repeating decimals will be.
>
> 1- find the smallest number consisting of only digits of 9 that 33 is a
> divisor for:
>
> 33 x 3 = 99
>
> 2. apply this factor of 3 to the fraction:
>
> 14/33 x 3/3 = 42/99
>
> 3. therefore the repeating decimals are 42.
>
> That's how you have your soup :)
>
> The cases involving other numbers appearing in the decimals before
> repeating decimals begin are quite similar. You first convert the
> fraction to different pieces to separate the repeating part of decimals
> from the rest. This turns the term with repeating decimals to have a
> bunch of zeros coming before the repeating part begins. Then you use a
> slightly different form of method of nines (called method of nines with
> [...]

Method of nines have some more detail than just that. The example and
method I mentioned above applies only to cases where numerator and
denominator are of the same order of magnitude. If denominator is of a
magnitude of order n more than the numerator, then n zeros appear in the
repeating decimals before nonzeros in them begin. Example:

1/13 (i.e. there will be one repeating zero before non-zero repeating
decimals begin)

1. find the nines: (a two liner loop)

13 x 76923 = 999999

2. apply the factor:

1/13 x 76923/76923 = 76923/999999

3. therefore the repeating decimals are 076923 (not 76923).

Now let's take the example you brought earlier:

1/31

1. There will be one repeating zero before non-zero digits of repeating
decimals begin.

2. get the nines:

31 x 32258064516129 = 999999999999999

3. apply the factor:

1/31 x 32258064516129/32258064516129 = 32258064516129/999999999999999

4. therefore the repeating decimals will be 032258064516129

Note that the zeros coming before non-zero digits begin, are not a case
of zeros after radix that are _not_ part of the repeating decimals. The
latter cases are handled by method of nines with zeros which is slightly
different from method of nines, and I won't go into it. Those interested
can dig it themselves.