Article <usg38i$13qps$5@solani.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usg38i$13qps$5@solani.org>

From: Physfitfreak <Physfitfreak@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.physics,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Israeli Faces From Earlier Today :-)
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:25:22 -0600
 <uhsrvu$v64b$1@solani.org> <uhv5gt$10a2p$1@solani.org>
 <ui62nk$13odc$1@solani.org> <uihf27$19933$1@solani.org>
 <uimids$1bsd8$5@solani.org> <uing0e$1cc5l$1@solani.org>
 <uish7q$1ephg$1@solani.org> <uj1t6j$1hjn1$1@solani.org>
 <uj99k6$1le33$1@solani.org> <ujh1nn$1pb72$1@solani.org>
 <ujjvm9$1qqu2$1@solani.org> <ujmvts$1s39l$1@solani.org>
 <ujqtu6$1ucqj$2@solani.org> <uk6r5n$24cim$1@solani.org>
 <ukemf7$284ks$1@solani.org> <ukogsu$2d74r$3@solani.org>
 <uldhbs$1oa6$1@solani.org> <um2mec$7q8k$7@solani.org>
 <um7op3$8rju$1@solani.org> <uml32l$iced$1@dont-email.me>
 <umobd2$isqi$1@solani.org> <umog2s$ivg0$1@solani.org>
 <untfb0$e0p5$1@solani.org> <uodam3$31vas$1@dont-email.me>
 <uof6qa$nc2k$1@solani.org> <uofg0t$ng4t$1@solani.org>
 <uoqgmr$rrva$1@solani.org> <usangc$11l3t$1@solani.org>
 <usdbe7$18kog$2@dont-email.me> <l4va12Fdv1lU3@mid.individual.net>
 <use5m3$12tdc$1@solani.org> <l51b0uFmepqU6@mid.individual.net>

On 3/8/2024 2:33 PM, rbowman wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 22:54:26 -0600, Physfitfreak wrote:
>

>> Iranian weapons are made with about 2 to 4 percent of the cost for the
>> similar weapons made in the USA.
>>
>> The reason is obvious (to me anyway). In the United States, these
>> weapons are made to first rip Americans' tax money off of government,
>> and then used for creating more wars in the world so the ripper offers
>> would continually rip off the government; while in Iran, the weapons are
>> built to first defend Iranians against such sick poppies, and doing so
>> in the most cost-effective way.
>>

> Definitely but it would be nice if the US weapons actually worked. High
> tech doesn't replace creativity. I forget which generation of drone it was
> but it couldn't get off the ground by itself. The answer? Put it and it's
> launch ramp in the back of a Toyota Hilux and start driving. At about 60
> mph the drone would have enough lift to get going.
>
> Hey, it's a step up from Qassam rockets.

Hehe :) It was about two of the Shahed series as far as I know. They
eventually solved the problem by adding a dried fueled little bitty
rocket at its end, underneath them, which would drop after full launch
was achieved, leaving behind the original aerodynamic surfaces. Made
them more expensive but they began working fine from any spot you placed
the rails on. Toyota or ground :)

The little ones (Shahed 131) now come in stacks of 5 or more, launched
one after the other quickly, causing havoc for the enemy defense. The
first Shaheds that hit Ukrainian targets were these little ones, not the
larger 136.

Among several other uses, they also protect the main missile, usually
very expensive, that's coming in for a worthy target, from getting
intercepted by air defense.

But by themselves, they inflict good damage if they make it to their
targets. So either way, they're too bad for the enemy. Damned if you hit
them in the sky, and damned if you don't :-) The expense inflicted can
be up to orders of magnitude higher than the cost of each.

Russians, mainly in the beginning of the Ukraine war, used them
extensively while air defense of Ukrainians was still a big problem for
them.