Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usglvs$255sp$2@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: power shortages
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 14:44:46 +1100

On 9/03/2024 2:01 am, John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 10:40:26 +0000, Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:22:29 +0100, Jeroen Belleman
>> <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:

>>> These are planned to be the --now old-fashioned-- Westinghouse
>>> design? Big installations that need ten years to build?
>>>
>>> I wonder if it wouldn't be better to start an industry of
>>> small modular reactors. Tens of megawatts rather than hundreds,
>>> Something that could fit on a barge, or a train, transported
>>> where it's needed, and up and running in months rather than
>>> years.
>>
>> Already in development!
>>
>> https://www.rolls-royce.com/innovation/small-modular-reactors.aspx#/
>
> It's really not a technical problem. The public has an irrational fear
> of radiation.
>
> Nukes work fine in France. Actually, they work fine most everywhere
> else.

But nobody has found a good long term solution for storing nuclear waste
for the 100,000 odd years it takes before it stops being dangerous

> SMRs sound cool, but need to be hardened against greenie saboteurs.

Non-existent greenie saboteurs. We've had nuclear reactors since the
late 1940's but no greenie has ever sabotaged one, or shown any desire
to do so.

> They should be supported by a good fuel recycling/disposal
> infrastructure, which, again, is not really a technical problem.

We've had 70 years to solve that particular problem, and nobody has yet
come up with a solution that they can sell to the public. The technical
problems may not be insoluble, but solutions that have been found so far
don't seem to be socially acceptable.

And why should they be? Nuclear power isn't cheaper that renewable power.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney