Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usgnia$255sp$5@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: power shortages
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 15:11:40 +1100

On 9/03/2024 1:48 am, John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 06:40:12 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On a sunny day (Thu, 07 Mar 2024 07:13:56 -0800) it happened John Larkin
>> <jl@997PotHill.com> wrote in <h8mjui5kf50de3tkplpf1e12k12r8dgl58@4ax.com>:
>>

>>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/amid-explosive-demand-america-is-running-out-of-power/ar-BB1jtM69
>>>
>>> Increasing demand and declining reliable supply could put people in
>>> the dark.
>>
>> Yesterday I was reading Netherlands gov has decided to build 4 new nuclear power plants.
>> They still have to find locations for 3, what if next doors?? ??
>
> Pick a region and tell the locals that they can have a reactor or no
> electricity. Let them vote.

The Dutch are pretty technically literate. Roof-top solar is pretty
popular there, and Dutch have been into windmills for a very long time -
there were plenty of wind turbines around when I lived there.

They'd know that they could get cheaper electricity in smaller chunks.

> Near the ocean would be good for cooling.

It's hard to get all that far from the ocean anywhere in the
Netherlands. Putting pipes through the dikes to circulate cooling sea
water wouldn't be difficult, and the return flow would probably be
circulated through industrial scale green-houses to exploit the low
level heat.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney