Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usgpca$25ov0$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Motor Speed Control
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 15:42:32 +1100

On 9/03/2024 5:49 am, KevinJ93 wrote:
> On 3/7/24 8:48 PM, Bill Sloman wrote:
>> On 8/03/2024 7:13 am, KevinJ93 wrote:
>>>
>>> Not in 1970. Even after that time they did not possess any advantage
>>> over DC motor drive with speed stabilization based on back-emf.
>>
>> Don't be silly. Back-emf depends on the strenght of the magnetic field
>> generating the basck-emf, and that is temperature dependent.
>
> At about 0.2% per deg the magnetic field strength stability was adequate
> for the speed accuracy required under the required environmental
> conditions.

Motors run hotter than their environment

>> Synchronous motors rotate at a rate that reflects the stability of the
>> frequency source that determines the drive frequency, and reasonably
>> stable frequency source - watch crystals have been around for ages.
>
>>> Even for AC powered units where power was not an issue stepper motors
>>> were never used. Synchronous motors with synthesized drive were
>>> occasionally a feature but many/most used back-emf stabilization with
>>> DC motors.
>>>
>>> ICs were available to integrate that circuitry:
>>>
>>> eg https://www.precisionmicrodrives.com/ab-026

>>> Not in 1970. Even by the late 70's a bipolar (P)ROM would use up all
>>> your power budget.
>>
>> It didn't - and it wasn't bipolar.
>
> MOS EPROMS such as the 1702 were cumbersome to use with multiple
> supplies required.

It was one-time programmable, not an EPROM.

>The logic to drive them would have been TTL consuming
> significant amounts of power as well as expensive.

CMOS was around and cheap. I'd first used it around 1975, and the price
fell by a factor of three as I was developing the 1975 circuit.

> The first EPROMS that were easy to use, such as the 2708 weren't widely
> available till the late 70's.

The stepper motor circuit that I worked on was developed in 1978.

<snip>

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney