Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ush8jl$285bf$1@dont-email.me>

From: Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Codes sent by text message
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 09:02:44 +0000 (GMT)

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> Wrote in message:

> Some annoying websites insist on authentication by requiring me to enter
> the number they send by text message.  For some reason my google voice
> number is never identified as a real phone number and I have to use my
> old phone with the $10/year SIM to receive their code.
>
> WTF?  Why is the google voice number not a REAL phone number?

According to this
<https://support.google.com/voice/thread/1592118>

"Google Voice phone numbers are classified as land lines, just
 like other VoIP service providers' numbers.  The SMS/MMS function
 is spliced on, via a third-party messaging gateway.  Since there
 is a higher possibility that a criminal could compromise this
 technology, the banks won't allow the use of VoIP
 numbers.

This limitation is being implemented by Wells Fargo (and other
 banks, like Bank of America), not by Google."
--
Remove numerics from my email address.