Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usj04p$2jl0t$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: TV news for March 2-9, 2024
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 16:50:33 -0800

On 3/9/24 2:25 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

>      ABC news
>

> Tim Allen To Headline ABC Comedy Pilot From Mike Scully & Julie Thacker
> Scully  (March 6)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/03/tim-allen-star-abc-comedy-pilot-from-julie-thacker-scully-mike-scully-1235847524/
>
> ("Shifting Gears centers on Matt (Allen), a stubborn, widowed owner of a
> classic car restoration shop. When Matt’s estranged daughter and her
> teenage kids move into his house, the real restoration begins.")

Commence gnashing of teeth from the commies on Reddit.

(Sidenote: From what I have heard, Tim Allen is not a good guy. But the
reason to oppose him and his endeavors should be that, not that he may
or may not be a "conservative".)

>      CBS news
>

> CBS Studios NAACP Venture To Develop New Daytime Drama For CBS Called
> ‘The Gates’  (March 6)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/03/cbs-studios-naacp-venture-developing-new-daytime-drama-cbs-the-gates-1235847660/
>
> (the show "would follow the lives of a wealthy Black family in a posh,
> gated community")

NBC did the previous soap opera with an AA-focus - it was called...
"Generations". Kelly Rutherford was on it!! It went off the air on 1991.

> CBS Orders ‘Young Sheldon’ Georgie & Mandy Spinoff Series Starring
> Montana Jordan And Emily Osment  (March 5)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/03/cbs-orders-young-sheldon-georgie-and-mandy-spinoff-series-1235846411/

Hard pass.

> Justin Hartley Series ‘Tracker’ Gets Early Season 2 Renewal By CBS
> (March 4)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/03/tracker-justin-hartley-renewed-season-2-cbs-1235845019/

For Adam!!

> ‘NCIS: Origins’ Finds Its Young Gibbs: Austin Stowell To Star In CBS
> Prequel Series  (March 4)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/03/ncis-origins-casts-austin-stowell-young-gibbs-prequel-1235845156/

Pass.
P.S. Reddit had fun with this, noting that Stowell looks nothing like
young Mark Harmon, and has brown eyes instead of blue!, etc.

>      CW news
>

> ‘The Librarians’ Christian Kane To Reprise Jacob Stone Role In CW
> Spinoff ‘The Next Chapter’  (March 4)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/03/christian-kane-jacob-stone-the-librarians-the-next-chapter-spinoff-1235845221/

I'm sayin' I beat Robin!! :)

>      Fox news
>

> ‘Baywatch’ Reboot Lands At Fox With Sizable Commitment  (March 4)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/03/baywatch-reboot-fox-1235844073/

Bad idea - a "Baywatch"-inspired show is a lot more likely to do well
than a straight "reboot". This show was very much a product of its time,
and can't be duplicated again.

> Fox Summer Premieres: When To Expect Return Of ‘I Can See Your Voice,’
> ‘Food Stars,’ ‘Masterchef’ & More  (March 4)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/03/fox-summer-premiere-dates-2024-game-shows-gordon-ramsay-1235845044/

Exactly why no one watches the nets in the summer!

> ‘Doc’: Omar Metwally, Amirah Vann & Scott Wolf Among 6 Cast In Fox
> Medical Drama Series  (March 4)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/03/doc-fox-drama-series-cast-1235844871/
>
> ("Based on the popular Italian series Doc ­Nelle tue mani, which has a
> male protagonist, the Fox drama centers on the hard-charging, brilliant
> Dr. Amy Larsen (Molly Parker), Chief of Internal Medicine at Westside
> Hospital in Minneapolis. After a brain injury erases the last eight
> years of her life, Amy must navigate an unfamiliar world where she has
> no recollection of patients she’s treated, colleagues she’s crossed, the
> man she loves, or the tragedy that caused her to push everyone away. She
> can rely only on her estranged 17-year-old daughter, whom she remembers
> as a 9-year-old, and a handful of devoted friends, as she struggles to
> continue practicing medicine despite having lost nearly a decade of
> knowledge and experience.")

OK, good cast, and I actually like the premise a lot. If this gets
picked up, I may even give it a look.

>      NBC news
>

> June Diane Raphael To Headline ‘Bewitched’-Inspired Comedy In Works At
> NBC, Teaming With ‘Dickinson’ Creator  (March 6)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/03/june-diane-raphael-alena-smith-bewitched-something-wicked-comedy-nbc-1235847939/

Dickinson was decent, but this is one where it go wrong in a thousand
different ways...

>      Cable channel news
>

> Owen Teague, Dominic Colón & Margarita Levieva Join Brad Ingelsby’s HBO
> Task Force Drama  (March 8)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/03/owen-teague-dominic-colon-margarita-levieva-join-brad-ingelsby-hbo-drama-1235849476/
>
> ("A crime drama ["Untitled Brad Ingelsby Task Force Project"] based on
> an original idea from Mare of Easttown creator Ingelsby, the show is set
> in the working class suburbs outside of Philadelphia, where [Mark]
> Ruffalo’s FBI agent heads a Task Force to put an end to a string of
> drug-house robberies led by an unsuspecting family man.")

Well, I liked Levieva a lot (a decade ago!)...

> ‘Nine Bodies In A Mexican Morgue’ Greenlit By MGM+; Eric McCormack To
> Star In Anthony Horowitz Limited Series  (March 6)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/03/nine-bodies-in-a-mexican-morgue-mgm-plus-eric-mccormack-star-limited-series-anthony-horowitz-1235848030/
>
> ("Nine Bodies in a Mexican Morgue follows the tale of nine strangers who
> find themselves lost in a remote Mexican jungle after their small plane
> traveling from Guatemala to the U.S. crashes. One by one, the survivors
> are murdered, leaving the remaining passengers to solve the terrifying
> mystery before they too fall victim to the killer")

Too bad nobody gets MGM+

> Freeform Announces New Unscripted Series ‘Grand Cayman: Secrets In
> Paradise’ & ‘Wayne Brady: The Family Remix’  (March 6)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/03/freeform-new-unscripted-series-grand-cayman-secrets-in-paradise-wayne-brady-the-family-remix-1235847587/

Freeform is *dead*!

> Candace Cameron Bure Drops Next Movie In Her Eponymous Series on Great
> American Family; ‘Just In Time’ To Premiere This Month  (March 5)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/03/candace-cameron-bure-presents-next-movie-great-american-family-1235846138/

Zzzzzzzzz...

> Ewan McGregor Debuts As Count Rostov In ‘A Gentleman In Moscow’ Trailer
> [Showtime]  (March 5)
>
> https://deadline.com/video/a-gentleman-in-moscow-trailer/
>
> ("The series, an adaptation of Amor Towles’ novel of the same name,
> follows Count Alexander Rostov (Ewan McGregor), who, in the aftermath of
> the Russian Revolution, finds that his gilded past has placed him on the
> wrong side of history. Spared immediate execution, he is banished by a
> Soviet tribunal to an attic room in the opulent Hotel Metropol and
> threatened with death if he ever sets foot outside again.")

And they want to make a *series* about this?!!