Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usj60d$2odtf$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Newyana2" <Newyana2@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Codes sent by text message
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 21:30:31 -0500

"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

| >    As V said, the simple answer is that they want to spy.
|
| No, that's not it. Not for a bank.

Of course that's it.

| They want to know that you are an actual person with a phone and
| contract. They have to trust the company giving those numbers.

   An actual person with a phone contract? So you're saying that
having a cellphone is more proof of ID than my drivers license? You've
been drinking the kool-aid.

   At one point I played with crypto a bit. I had to upload a picture
ID (drivers license), as well as giving them my email address and
access to my bank account. As I recall I think they sent a voice
message code to my landline, which is a lot more security in terms of
proof of ID than a cellphone. The lamdline is registered to -- and
wired to -- a physical address.

   Investing with the US Treasury does not require a cellphone.
They send a code via email.

  My Tracfone was bought at BestBuy. At no point did I have to
enter an ID or open an account. Tracfone officially has no idea
who I am. I buy minutes at a drugstore every 3 months. There's
no inherent security or proof of ID with cellphones. If I were going
to do anything online requiring a cellphone, I'd be using that Tracfone.
The problem, as I noted, is that if I lost the cellphone I don't feel
confident that I'd be able to get into my account. There's no one
minding the store.

  I ran into a similar issue with my brotyher who had a stroke. I
tried to get his email. Google wouldn't let me. They wanted 2FA.
He'd never set up 2FA! Apparently they saw that I was logging in
from a different location, on a different device. There was no way
around it. One doesn't just call a tech support person at Google.

  So it's pure bullshit for them to talk about security and even more
BS to talk about confirming who you are. The only credible reason to
require 2FA via cellphone is to track you.