Article <usl2qh$1enef$11@i2pn2.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usl2qh$1enef$11@i2pn2.org>

From: Richard Damon <richard@damon-family.org>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: =?UTF-8?B?UmU6IFZlcmlmaWVkIGZhY3QgdGhhdCDEpC5IIOKfqMSk4p+pIOKfqMSk?=
 =?UTF-8?B?4p+pIGFuZCBIIOKfqMSk4p+pIOKfqMSk4p+pIGhhdmUgZGlmZmVyZW50IGJlaGF2?=
 =?UTF-8?Q?ior_ZFC?=
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 12:48:33 -0700
 <usikk8$2gnhr$8@dont-email.me> <usiljd$2hc10$3@dont-email.me>
 <usineq$2hnpb$3@dont-email.me> <usiq9n$2ijsm$1@dont-email.me>
 <usir82$2inqh$2@dont-email.me> <usit21$2j3c8$1@dont-email.me>
 <usiufa$2j99n$1@dont-email.me> <usiukh$2jaj3$1@dont-email.me>
 <usiuup$2jdc7$2@dont-email.me> <usj254$2jutc$2@dont-email.me>
 <usj2e3$2jut2$1@dont-email.me> <usj2je$2jutc$3@dont-email.me>
 <usj2rs$2jut2$2@dont-email.me> <usj32s$2k5id$1@dont-email.me>
 <usjd20$2plge$1@dont-email.me> <usjef5$1cf5q$6@i2pn2.org>
 <usjfj8$2q613$1@dont-email.me> <usjgs6$1cf5q$7@i2pn2.org>
 <usjhks$2qhfq$1@dont-email.me> <usjj7v$1cf5q$8@i2pn2.org>
 <uskg1p$30hr1$1@dont-email.me> <KEkHN.386271$vFZa.185803@fx13.iad>
 <uskog1$32h3c$1@dont-email.me> <uskpe3$32l00$1@dont-email.me>
 <uskq04$32h3c$3@dont-email.me> <usksvk$33a1p$5@dont-email.me>
 <uskubp$33lov$3@dont-email.me> <usl0hh$34290$3@dont-email.me>
 <usl0v5$347rv$2@dont-email.me>

On 3/10/24 12:16 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 3/10/2024 2:09 PM, immibis wrote:

>>> All decision problem instances of program/input such that both
>>> yes and no are the wrong answer toss out the input as invalid.
>>>

>> all decision problems are defined so that all instances are valid or
>> else they are not defined properly
>>

> Not in the case of Russell's Paradox.

Which is just Red Herring, as it has nothing to do with Halting.

It Turns out that for Set Theory, the fact that the rules for Naive Set
Theory allowed for results based Set Descriptions that are not actually
contructable, as their construction leads to a paradox, for Computation
Theory, the ability for Algortihms (aka Turing Machines) to contain
OTHER Algorithms (but never themselves, as that leads to in infinite
machine) but could take descriptions of themselves as input, leads to a
very useful system.

The "problem" you see, of having some questions not being answered by an
algorithm given data representing the specific instance of the question,
isn't considered actually a problem, since it turns out to have a fairly
reasonable explainion for its existance (which required transfinite math
to be discovered) which is that there are MANY more possible problems
then possible machine to decider them, being Aleph-1 possible problems,
but only Aleph-0 possible deciders.

Thus, currently the fact of uncomputable problems isn't considered an
issue by most, except crackpots like you.