Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usmhbp$3hcok$1@dont-email.me>

From: Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Chinese downloads overloading my website
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 02:02:47 -0700

On 3/10/2024 11:43 PM, jim whitby wrote:
> You may find the file:
>
> /etc/hosts.deny
>
> useful in this case, you can block by name(s) or ip(s).
> Man hosts,deny
> for more info

My read is not that *he* is having traffic throttled to a
server that *he* operates but, rather, that traffic to
a (virtual) server that his ISP operates on his behalf
is being throttled.  I.e., his subscription allows 50GB/month
(and some amount of storage space) and that is being exceeded
by "unfriendly" clients.

As he has no direct control over traffic, he is at the mercy of
unknown (in this case, chinese) users to limit THEIR accesses
to his (virtual) site.  I.e., his *provider* needs to restrict
unwanted accesses.

Sort of like complaining to your cellular provider that you are
getting too many text messages from people that you don't want
to hear from and these are eating into your monthly quota...