Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usmtm5$3k0ai$1@dont-email.me>

From: Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Codes sent by text message
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 12:33:08 +0000 (GMT)

Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> Wrote in message:

> Jörg Lorenz wrote:

>>> They will struggle in the UK soon, then. All landlines disappear by the end
>>> of 2025  - there will only be VoIP.
>>
>> Hardly ever read so much nonsense. We know Newyana does not have a cell
>> phone but he or she wants to have a big mouth in technical groups
>> discussing mobile technology.
>>
>> For you: IP-telephone lines are landlines. Landlines are not what you
>> think they are. The backend is even in the UK ip-based for years.
>>
>> Here in Switzerland VOIP/ip-endpoints are mandatory since 2017.
>

> Here we designate wired analogue connections running under PSTN as
> landlines - nothing else. What I say is correct. There will be options to
> continue the old lines for a few who cannot cope, but not for long.
>
> https://tinyurl.com/2lgbqv49

The word 'landline' can mean a several things in the UK. What's
 being discontinued are the copper pairs which run between the
 cabinets in the street and local exchanges, which carry analogue
 voice calls (PSTN aka POTS -  'Plain Old Telephone System'). The
 pairs between the cabinet and the premises may continue to carry
 DSL or may be replaced by fibre.

The old (self powered) analogue phone service has become known to
 the public here as a 'landline' only since they had a choice (or
 no choice) to replace it with what's generally called a 'digital'
 phone.

But the word 'landline' can also mean just the wires. Many people
 have a landline but no phone on the end, but they still have to
 pay for a 'landline'.

And to younger people, who have mobile phones, a 'landline'
 probably means just a permanent  phone in their home as opposed
 to a mobile.
--
Remove numerics from my email address.