Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usn05k$3d3vd$1@dont-email.me>

From: vallor <vallor@cultnix.org>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Thelio hardware problem with Linux Mint
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:15:33 -0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 07:33:02 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<ldo@nz.invalid> wrote in <usmc3e$3g6h5$1@dont-email.me>:

> On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:16:55 -0000 (UTC), vallor wrote:
>
>> Thing is, the TOSLink connector is usually on the motherboard, and I
>> don't have problems with them.  But this time, I think the connector is
>> on a daughterboard, and I suspect it is connected to the motherboard
>> via USB.
>
> Is an optical connection really worth using?

I prefer it, if only because the sound takes a pure digital
path to the DAC in the amplifier, and it's opto-isolated.

But USB would offer the same pure digital path, and the
amplifier accepts USB.  Both are plugged into the UPS,
so maybe I should just go for it. (I've just had bad luck with
USB audio before, but perhaps that is a thing of the past.)

> My white-box machine has one, but instead of bothering to use it, I got
> USB 7.1 adapter box to run my Logitech surround speakers, and that has
> been working fine for the better part of a year now.

So no clicking or dropouts?  I'll have to try the USB then and see if
it is any better.

> I am still in the process of tracking down some audio trouble with my
> Galago Pro laptop; when I installed Debian 12 Stable on it, the sound
> worked fine, but when I upgraded to Debian Unstable, it went mute.
> Currently I got sound back after a couple of fiddles: one involved
> comparing what modules were loaded by default under the two systems and
> making adjustments accordingly, and other following the steps described
> at
> <https://support.system76.com/articles/audio/>.
>
> Another reboot will be coming up when I do my monthly upgrade; then I’ll
> try these steps separately (if I need to), and see which one actually
> did the trick. ;)

Well, I rebooted yesterday to bring up Linux 6.7.9 -- but
now 6.8 is out, so I'll be rebooting again soon.

--
-v