Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usn7c2$3m130$2@dont-email.me>

From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-03-10 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 15:18:26 -0000 (UTC)

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>The Twilight Zone S3E31 'The Trade-Ins' - DVR
>After 50 years of wedded bliss, John and Martha Holt decide that it
>would be nice to start it all over again.  (Comcast)
>An elderly couple shop for younger replacement bodies, then resort to
>desperate measures to cover the cost.  (IMDb)
>Trivia: Joseph Schildkraut's second wife (of 29 years) died while he was
>filming this episode. Coming from a theatrical family, he insisted on
>finishing the production before he'd begin mourning. Here, he plays an
>elderly man who must choose between a new body for himself or living the
>rest of his life with his wife in a pain-wracked body.

I had no idea of the timing. For an actor born in Vienna who began on
stage in Berlin, he became quite well known on stage on Broadway and
went back and forth across the Atlantic. He was popular in silent
movies. In the talkies, people would have remembered him as Dreyfus in
The Life of Emile Zola (1937). I've seen this once. It's very stagy and
comes across as more of an early talkie than a more sophisticated of the
mid 1930s, and the print was lousy.

Of course, he was the vile clerk in The Shop Around the Corner (1940),
the brilliant Lubitsch/Raphaelson (my great uncle) collaboration.

I've been getting a kick out of the interesting trivia you've been
digging up.