Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usng1s.13l8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

From: Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Codes sent by text message
Date: 11 Mar 2024 16:50:10 GMT

VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
> Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
>
> >   Huh? Who is saying that the "log into a web form" is done on a *phone*?
>
> Web traffic volume generated by phones has surpassed web traffic
> generated by desktop PCs.  Most logins are on phones, not desktops.
>
> https://gs.statcounter.com/platform-market-share/desktop-mobile/worldwide/

  Who says that these 'stats' are any indication of "log into a web
form" versus just browsing?

  Anyway, in our country (NL), 'desktop' is still slightly higher than
'mobile'! :-) (Both stupid terms, without an explanation.)

  And just look at 'Desktop vs Mobile vs Tablet Market Share Worldwide'
to see how silly/meaningless those stats are.

> >   It's more likely done on a computer and in that case, the scenario
> > involves *two* devices and the thief/hacker must be in possesion of the
> > second device (phone), which he isn't.
>
> 2FA isn't about using 2 devices.  It's about 2 pieces of evidence:
> password and 2FA code.

  FTR, the context is sending a code by SMS, that's 2SV (2 Step
Verification), not 2FA (2 Factor Authentication).

  2FA is about two *factors*, knowledge and possesion.

  2SV is about two *steps*, in this case 1) (username and) password and
2) getting/entering the code.

  2FA is a 2SV process, because it (normally) involves 2 steps.

  But 2SV is not a 2FA process, because it doesn't involve possesion,
you don't own/posses the code, you get the code.