Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usnm5e.7g4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

From: Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Codes sent by text message
Date: 11 Mar 2024 18:31:09 GMT

VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:

[Yet another mixup of 2FA/2SV deleted.]

> I haven't delved much into TOTP, because I've yet to log into any sites
> that use it, but it might be more secure than 2FA.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-based_one-time_password
>
> My bank did add TOTP by letting their customers using the Authy app.
> Alas, Authy discontinued their desktop (Windows) client leaving only
> their mobile apps.  Yet I don't do banking on my phone, only on my
> desktop PC.  So, Authy yanked their desktop client, can't use it anymore
> with my bank, so I'm stuck with them sending the 2FA code to my Google
> Voice phone number which forwards to me via e-mail.  Obviously I can't
> get texts on my desktop PC (it has no cellular service), and I'm not
> running around the house to find my smartphones to power them up and
> wait to get a 2FA code via SMS that I have to manually copy into the 2FA
> form in the web browser on my desktop PC.  At the server, 2FA codes
> expire, so it could take me longer to use a phone with SMS than it took
> to use Authy on my desktop where I was trying to login.
>
> There are other TOTP desktop clients, but I don't know which will work
> with my bank.  They list only a couple TOTP clients, one of which is the
> Symantec client that is geared to enterprise users.  They don't list
> other TOTP clients, like Google or Microsoft Authenticator.

  As Dave Royal also mentioned, your bank probably mentions/'supports'
one or more TOTP 'apps'/programs, but - assuming they have not
re-invented the wheel - their systems should be standards-compliant and
hence worke with any standards-compliant 'app'/program.

  See this list of OTP 'apps'/programs for possible Windows solutions
(pointed to by the 'See also:' of your reference)

'Comparison of OTP applications'
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_OTP_applications>