Article <usoa6a$3tqji$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usoa6a$3tqji$1@dont-email.me>

From: Malcolm McLean <malcolm.arthur.mclean@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: avoiding strdup()
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 01:12:42 +0000
 <ushea7$28prq$2@dont-email.me> <ushnkb$1rnlb$4@dont-email.me>
 <87r0gizzuo.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> <20240310101101.00001fd4@yahoo.com>
 <20240310100715.866@kylheku.com> <ifnHN.386274$vFZa.250421@fx13.iad>
 <usnb64$3n297$1@dont-email.me> <yMGHN.481214$PuZ9.381006@fx11.iad>

On 11/03/2024 17:00, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Malcolm McLean <malcolm.arthur.mclean@gmail.com> writes:

>>> It's a form of lazy programming.  I've seen a lot of open source
>>> code that uses strdup without checking for failure and frequently
>>> "forgetting" to free the result.
>>
>> And it is probably more likely that machine with many gigabytes of RAM
>
> Actually, your assumptions that:
>    1) strdup is the only allocation function used by an application
>    2) all strings are "short"
>
> are both flawed.

The bank has many billions. But there is a banking crisis on and it is
about to fail. And someone, somewhere, will be that man who tries to
withdraw some money and is told "no". But how likely is that man to be
you with your 20 pounds at the cashpoint? How likely is it to be another
bank making a cash call for a 100 million or so?

And how often do banks fail, actually, and how often does government
take action when it's heading that way, but nowhere near failing yet?

--
Check out Basic Algorithms and my other books:
https://www.lulu.com/spotlight/bgy1mm