Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usob5a$3u2li$1@dont-email.me>

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-03-10 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:23:30 -0700

On 3/11/2024 12:46 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 09:23:23 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
> <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> Spring ahead! Fall back! Since daylight is being "saved", think about
>>> the time of sunset being moved back an hour from standard time. That's
>>> how I remember that the clock gets set ahead.
>>>

> I never got how daylight is being "saved" by the switch but have
> always remembered the "Spring Forward, Fall Back" mantra.
>
>> I'm way too old for that!  If I haven't learned it by now I'm never
>> going to learn it.  Plus, I never figured out which months are spring,
>> fall, etc.  I've got winter down but that's it!  I grew up in the San
>> Francisco Bay area.  We don't have seasons here.  We only have is it
>> raining today or not.  I guess rain is a season, but I think that's what
>> you non-Californians call winter.  Consequently growing up I never
>> needed to know which season was which because no one ever talked about
>> it.  Besides I'm pretty sure this whole "seasons" nonsense was made up
>> by East coasters. ;-)
>
> Ah, how fortunate you are. I've lived all over the USA but never out
> west and so have always experienced all four seasons. Sometimes heavy
> on the seasons (like in Illinois and Indiana) and other times very
> light (as in Florida) or where we can go from winter (sub freezing
> temps)

The temperature here sometimes drops to almost 40 degrees!  I don't
think humans can survive in temperatures lower than that.  I know for
myself anything under 70 requires a jacket.

to spring/early summer temps (70s/low 80s) in a single day as
> we do in Georgia. So I'm quite familiar with the seasons and have
> always wondered how the people in Los Angeles maintain their sanity
> when every day is the same. Well, except for those few days when it
> rains and everyone panics if they have to go near a road.

When I was a kid if it rained too hard sometimes they'd modify the
school schedule and even let us all out early. When I tell people who
come from places where it snows about this it's like their brains melt.
But from my perspective it was like of course they had to close the
school, it was *raining* really, really hard!  No one questioned this.
I never questioned it either until I started to talking to people who
came from places where this didn't happen.

But from my perspective it was like, So you're telling me if it rained
really hard you just stayed in school all day?  Even if it rained
really, really, hard?!?  What kind of sick twisted schools were they
running?