Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usookd$48ti$2@dont-email.me>

From: Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Chinese downloads overloading my website
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 22:19:06 -0700

On 3/11/2024 9:57 AM, legg wrote:
> Doing some simple experiments by temporarily renaming/replacing
> some of the larger files being tageted, just to see how the bot
> reacts to the new environment. If they find renamed files it
> means something. If visits to get the same 17G alter it means
> something else.

That;s probably a good, inexpensive strategy to see how "active"
your "clients" are.  Repeated hits on stale URLs would let you
know they are likely just reprobing from previously stored
results vs. actively *exploring* your site.

[Gotta wonder if they aren't a google/archive wannabe and not
smart enough to just *look* at the site.]

> This all at the expense and patience of my ISP. Thumbs up there.

Be grateful.  Many larger corporate providers would just cite
the AUP and your subscription terms and that would be the
end of THAT "discussion".

I run a thin pipe to the house -- my provider would love to
upsell me.  But, it's saturated 95% of the time; a fatter
pipe would be idle while I'm away/asleep.  As *latency* isn't
an issue, AVERAGE bandwidth remains the same.  (as I download
another terabyte of rainbow tables...)