Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usos5i$4q60$2@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: US Election Year!
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 17:19:23 +1100

On 12/03/2024 7:44 am, john larkin wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 20:09:09 +0000, Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 07:49:42 -0700, John Larkin <jl@997PotHill.com>
>> wrote:

>>> There's a simple explanation for why people who care about politics
>>> are bad electronic designers.
>>>
>>> Think about it.
>>
>> Okay. I've thought about it and I'm none the wiser. What's the reason?
>
> They are tribal and social, so are hostile to new, unauthorized ideas.

That has to be a particularly silly argument. The last fifty years of
circuit design has seen a flood of new devices. Anybody who fixated on
solving all their problems with a 555 wouldn't look like a good circuit
designer.

> Academic training can have the same effect, making people shy away
> from anything original.

John Larkin didn't get much academic training - or a least not much that
was any good. Academics have a habit of latching onto the latest new
idea and running with. If you want to produce new an exciting papers
that other academics will read, you have to keep up with the leading
edge, also know as the current state of the art.

Engineers have a habit of sticking to approaches that work until
something shows up that works appreciably better.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney