Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usp30k$6b5f$1@dont-email.me>

From: Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Codes sent by text message
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 08:16:17 +0000 (GMT)

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> Wrote in message:

> Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
>>
>> [Yet another mixup of 2FA/2SV deleted.]
>>
>>> I haven't delved much into TOTP, because I've yet to log into any sites
>>> that use it, but it might be more secure than 2FA.
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-based_one-time_password
>>>
>>> My bank did add TOTP by letting their customers using the Authy app.
>>> Alas, Authy discontinued their desktop (Windows) client leaving only
>>> their mobile apps.  Yet I don't do banking on my phone, only on my
>>> desktop PC.  So, Authy yanked their desktop client, can't use it anymore
>>> with my bank, so I'm stuck with them sending the 2FA code to my Google
>>> Voice phone number which forwards to me via e-mail.  Obviously I can't
>>> get texts on my desktop PC (it has no cellular service), and I'm not
>>> running around the house to find my smartphones to power them up and
>>> wait to get a 2FA code via SMS that I have to manually copy into the 2FA
>>> form in the web browser on my desktop PC.  At the server, 2FA codes
>>> expire, so it could take me longer to use a phone with SMS than it took
>>> to use Authy on my desktop where I was trying to login.
>>>
>>> There are other TOTP desktop clients, but I don't know which will work
>>> with my bank.  They list only a couple TOTP clients, one of which is the
>>> Symantec client that is geared to enterprise users.  They don't list
>>> other TOTP clients, like Google or Microsoft Authenticator.
>>
>>   As Dave Royal also mentioned, your bank probably mentions/'supports'
>> one or more TOTP 'apps'/programs, but - assuming they have not
>> re-invented the wheel - their systems should be standards-compliant and
>> hence worke with any standards-compliant 'app'/program.
>>
>>   See this list of OTP 'apps'/programs for possible Windows solutions
>> (pointed to by the 'See also:' of your reference)
>>
>> 'Comparison of OTP applications'
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_OTP_applications>
>
> Authy will drop their desktop (Windows client), but the desktop is where
> I do the vast majority of my web surfing and logins.  Google and
> Microsoft have their authenticators, but those are apps for Android or
> iOS, so they are no value to me on a desktop.  Besides Authy, my bank
> says they support Symantec VIP which has clients for Windows, Mac,
> Android, and iOS.  Authy originally said they were dropping their
> desktop client in August 2024, but they moved to this mid-March.
>
> I read about Bitwarden for 2FA/TOTP, but that's a premium feature
> ($10/yr subscriptionware).  Symantec VIP (well, I think) is free.  The
> wiki article doesn't mention that one.  Until the wiki article, I had
> not heard of SAASPASS Authenticator.  Alas, while the wiki article makes
> SASSPASS Authenticator look superior, the table is a bit misleading.
> The personal-use client is only for mobile platforms.  I'll probably
> lookup comparisons between Symantec VPI and Bitwarden.
>
> I was looking at the protocols, and it seems on the surface that just
> [...]

It's easier than you think. All the TOTP sites I use - admittedly
 not many and none of them banks - use standards protocols. I
 think all of them suggested Authy - not sure. GitHub and Mozilla
 suggested FreeOTP IIRC.

The reason I chose andOTP on my Android tablet was (a) it's
 opensource (b) it's offline (c)  it can produce an encrypted
 backup of its tokens (d) it requires a password to access.
 FreeOTP on iOS could not do (c) and (d). All the tokens I have
 originated on my Linux desktop. I point the Android tablet's
 camera  at the barcode on the screen to install it, then back it
 up onto both. If I want to transfer the token to my iPhone - I
 usually don't in case it's lost ot stolen, see (d) - I display
 the barcode on the tablet and read that with the iPhone.

Is all this more secure than an SMS to a phone? Debatable. The SMS
 should end up on _one_ place, whereas the TOTP tokens may be on
 several.

But it certainly makes life easier if you want to change your
 phone number, as I did recently!

I notice on WikiP that andOTP is no longer supported. But it works
 and should continue to work unless Android breaks it. I must back
 up the APK.
--
Remove numerics from my email address.