Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uspj9c$91ne$1@dont-email.me>

From: Peter <occassionally-confused@nospam.co.uk>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Chinese downloads overloading my website
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 12:54:06 +0000

IME, the hidden google re-captcha works brilliantly against bots.
Presumably by examining the timing. Set the threshold to 0.6 and off
you go. I run a fairly busy tech forum.

Another approach is to put your site behind Cloudflare. For hobby /
noncommercial sites this is free. And you get handy stuff like

- https certificate is done for you
- you can block up to 5 countries (I blocked Russia China and India)

Ideally you should firewall your server to accept web traffic only
from the set of CF IPs, but in practice this is not necessary unless
somebody is out to get you (there are websites which carry IP history
for a given domain, believe it or not!!!)