Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usplqj$afib$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: OT: Where will it go?
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 00:37:14 +1100

On 12/03/2024 11:22 pm, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 05:50:48 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Research sheds light on new strategy to treat infertility
>> OHSU research advances technique to turn a skin cell into an egg; could help same-sex couples, others have children genetically related to both parents
>> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/03/240308142739.htm
>>
>> Now where will it go?
>
> Read Huxley much?

Huxley's "Brave New World" didn't talk about that kind of reproductive
engineering at all. The lower classes were deliberated messed up on the
basis that it would have made them more biddable wage slaves, which is
nonsense.

Robert Plombin's "Blueprint"

https://www.penguin.com.au/books/blueprint-9780141984261

reflects a better informed opinion of what we need to know to produce
people who will do well in specific roles, but the main message is that
we don't know nearly enough to have any hope of doing it.

We don't know enough about how people work to have any idea how a
difference in a single nucleotide in our three billion nucleotide genome
affects our capacities, and we do know that they differ at about a
million sites in genome that are entirely human.

Anything gross enough to be easily measured - like years in education -
turns out to slightly influenced by thousand of single genetic
polymorphism, none with much of an effect.

The research reported wasn't aimed at doing anything of the kind -
merely at more ways of getting more or less viable zygotes for people
who can't produce egg and sperm cells in the usual way.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney