Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uspnf1$ar83$1@dont-email.me>

From: Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-03-09 (Saturday)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 10:04:56 -0400

Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> Nyssa  <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net> wrote:
>>anim8rfsk wrote:

>>> Brimstone was 20th century; Tracker was 21st century.
>>
>>I thought so, but I wasn't certain until Adam set me
>>straight.
>>
>>"Brimstone" deserved better treatment than it got from
>>Fox. They didn't even broadcast the 14th episode. :P~~~
>
> Ha ha
>
> All produced episodes were broadcast. They didn't order
> another season.

It didn't even make it through a *whole* season.

From what I'd read at the time, there was a 14th episode
in the can, but Fox pulled the plug and never aired it.
No reason given by Fox, but my guess is that they already
had something (probably cheaper to produce) ready to substitute
in that time slot and would gain nothing from showing
something that wasn't continuing anyway.

I think it was finally gaining an audience, after a
slow start, via word-of-mouth. There have been other
series that started slowly and gained audience as
the season progressed, but as we're seeing now, the
suits are 'way too quick to cancel something rather
than letting an audience build up as the story progresses
and more people get pulled in.

If it isn't an instant "hit" by some measure (or is
more expensive to produce than a reality show filler),
yank it and roll the dice again. Thus pissing off
viewers who afterwards are less likely to trust the
network not to rinse and repeat as new shows appear.

Nyssa, who is in the camp of not trusting the networks
to pull a show she likes and filling the airwaves with
crappy (non)reality shows or unfunny sitcoms