Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usq0u4$d1fg$1@dont-email.me>

From: Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Codes sent by text message
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:46:58 +0000 (GMT)

Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> Wrote in message:

> Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
>> Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> Wrote in message:

>> > [...]
>> >
>> >   It's similar in The Netherlands, at least for my banks and other banks
>> > I know of. But SMS and automated call are (AFAIK) not used. Just a
>> > bank-specific hardware TOTP device (uses your bank card as one of the
>> > factors) or TOTP in their apps. I use the TOTP devices, because it's not
>> > much of a bother and more secure.
>>
>> Does this bank-specific TOTP device use your normal bank
>>  credit/debit card (i.e. the one you you make payments or withdraw
>>  cash with) or a specific TOTP card. I have one of the latter -
>>  though the bank doesn't use it for payments requiring
>>  2FA.
>
>   It uses my normal bank card. Mostly a debit card, because most 'local'
> (in NL (and EU?)) on-line transactions can be done by a debit card,
> which - in our country - is a safer card than a credit card. But also
> some credit card transactions work with the bank's TOTP device (our
> credit cards are issued by our banks).
>
>> Amex has recently taken to asking for 2 digits of my credit card
>>  PIN to authorise some transactions - after years of saying we
>>  should never reveal it.
>
>   When I use my credit card in the bank's TOTP device, I need to give
> the 4-digit PIN of that card, i.e. the PIN is one factor of 2FA, the
> physical card is the other.

That's obviously OK on an offline gadget. It's providing (part of)
 the PIN to a website I find dubious - even if that website
 purports to be AMEX itself.

I don't know why NatWest in the UK doesn't use it's own credit
 card in its own TOTP gadget for 2FA. Perhaps because it uses
 Mastercard, whereas AMEX cards are their own.
--
Remove numerics from my email address.