Article <usq48p$dl57$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usq48p$dl57$1@dont-email.me>

From: -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: This FOSS Thang :-)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 13:43:52 -0400

On 3/11/24 7:25 PM, Joel wrote:
> Physfitfreak <Physfitfreak@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Say, this "Edge" thingy. They force it on you certainly for a reason :)
>> I have no doubt, the Edge running in the background without even your
>> knowledge is collecting and selling your behavior to a myriad of
>> commercial companies.
>

> I use Edge as a third browser under Linux, actually, it's not like I
> care about M$ software, having some philosophical need to purge it,
> it's specifically what is currently Win11, the bloat.  But Edge under
> Linux is what I view my Hotmail/Outlook email with, and serves as a
> third browser with regard to logging in to a site on behalf of someone
> who visits me.

The funny thing about 'bloat' is that it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

What we've seen with some Linux fanboy braggarts is that one can write
very speedy code if one optimistically assumes that there's no on ever
doing anything malicious to hack into a system, so there's zero overhead
to validate/sandbox the inputs.  OTOH, if you do write code which isn't
so trusting, there's then more validation checks to get done, so it is
inherently "bloated" by intentional design.

Fortunately, CPU power now easily exceeds the 80% use case demands, plus
storage has become quite cheap, which means that it isn't anywhere near
as important to have all code be so strongly optimized for performance
through minimized size to have a good (& good enough) UI.

A useful illustration of this is to look within one's current trash to
see how much storage space is being used without any particular concern
for conserving storage media.  I'm presently at a very low 3.5MB.

-hh