Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usqtvb$19i7n$1@solani.org>

From: Mild Shock <janburse@fastmail.fm>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog
Subject: Re: ANN: Dogelog Player 1.1.6 (HTTP Client)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 02:02:36 +0100

In 1997, Hong Kong judge Wayne Gould saw a partly
completed puzzle in a Japanese bookshop. Over six years,
he developed a computer program to produce unique
puzzles rapidly. The program tries to keep one puzzle
ahead of you, by generating the next puzzle while you
are solving the present one.

In the following we show a Prolog program, where
the random generation of a Puzzle is performed in
less than 2 seconds. The Prolog program was mainly
developed for Dogelog Player. We could test the
Prolog program also with Prolog systems such as
SWI-Prolog, Scryer Prolog and Trealla Prolog.

The smallest domain first variable ordering heuristic
allowed us to solve some hard problems below a minute.
Turning the heuristic into a static ordering before
search gave us a further boost and the baseline for
randomization. Measurement showed that solving blank
Sudokus doesn't have a large time variation.

See also:

Birthday Paradox and Sudoku Generation
https://twitter.com/dogelogch/status/1767714755827908991

Birthday Paradox and Sudoku Generation