Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usr4ug$le8u$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiation
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 14:01:27 +1100

On 13/03/2024 8:18 am, john larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 06:22:55 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Shields up: New ideas might make active shielding viable
>> Active shielding was first proposed in the '60s. We’re finally close to making it work.
>> https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/03/shields-up-new-ideas-might-make-active-shielding-viable/
>>
>> bit of static oelectricity, 1 MV ?
>
> That's all absurd, cramming a crew into a tiny dark cylinder, deep
> inside tons of magnets, to reduce their radiation exposure a little.
>
> Space is not people-friendly. Earth is.

Staying on Earth just because we evolved here would be even more absurd.

> Traveling to or living on Mars would be lethal. Living on the moon
> would be bad too.

Travelling to Mars might be  dangerous. but living there would be fine,
once we'd engineered a safe environment for people to live.

We might well be able to engineer people who could live there safely -
evolution has yet to come up with an error-detecting genetic code that
lends itself to error correction. but intelligent design could do better.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney