Article <ustbth$mkd$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ustbth$mkd$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

From: Andrew <andrew@spam.net>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Can a caller know that my phone is on Do Not Disturb?
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 23:12:50 -0000 (UTC)

"Stan Brown wrote on Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:28:52 -0700 :

> The New York Times today mentioned that people who call or message an
> iPhone that's on DND get a reply telling them it's on DND, but the
> article (URL below) didn't say anything either way about Androids. I
> don't see anything promising in Settings under Do Not Disturb.
>
> <https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/13/style/do-not-disturb-phone-
> setting.html?unlocked_article_code=1.cU0.EsXn.FqT98zMMXeK7&smid=url-
> share>
>
> The Times has a paywall, but the abopve URL, provided by the Times,
> gets you past it for this article.

I didn't look at the article as I was curious about the question in the
subject line so I first ran a quick google search to find out the answer.
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=do+callers+know+android+is+on+do+not+disturb+dnd

Here's what this hit said about your exact question:
https://techwiser.com/what-happens-when-your-phone-is-on-do-not-disturb/#Will-Others-Be-Able-to-Tell-if-I-Enable-Do-Not-Disturb-on-My-Phone
Q: Will Others Be Able to Tell if I Enable Do Not Disturb on My Phone
A: No, others will not be able to tell if your phone is in DND mode.
   When someone calls you, their call will go to voicemail as usual.
   The only time people can tell your phone is on DND is when you
   use it while driving because it sends an automatic message.

Hmmm... to me that's not a "no" but more of a "sometimes yes", right?

This article says you can selectively let others know you're on DND.
https://www.guidingtech.com/why-getting-calls-do-not-disturb-on/
Q: How to let people know your phone is on DND?
A: You can share your Focus status in the Messages app and let
   others know that your phone is on DND.

It's not useful if an article doesn't know about your specific question
but this article says what happens when someone calls you on DND.
https://gadgetroyale.com/what-does-do-not-disturb-do/
Q: What happens when your phone is on Do Not Disturb and someone calls you?
A: The only thing you as the phone user will experience is that
   the call won't ring out, the call will be muted but it will go through.

Aw heck, I'll look at the article now.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/13/style/do-not-disturb-phone-setting.html?unlocked_article_code=1.cU0.EsXn.FqT98zMMXeK7&smid=url-share

I see it says what you said it said:
 "When the setting is enabled on an iPhone, any would-be texters
  see a disclaimer that the person they are trying to contact has
  notifications silenced. Beneath that is a tempting offer:
  "Notify Anyway." If clicked, the notification will go through
   as it normally would"

Maybe best to ask the folks on misc.phone.mobile.iphone that question.