Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<usun6e$1j0c0$1@dont-email.me>

From: Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Interesting inductor
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 11:31:27 -0000 (UTC)

Clive Arthur <clive@nowaytoday.co.uk> wrote:
> On 13/03/2024 22:43, john larkin wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 22:32:27 +0000, Clive Arthur
>> <clive@nowaytoday.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> On 13/03/2024 04:18, John Larkin wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> Gyrator?
>>
>> We just yesterday had a brainstorm session about that. How can one
>> make a programmable electronic fake inductor?
>>
>> A real inductor stores energy, and can do things like high voltage
>> flyback. So a fake inductor should store energy, or pretend to. It
>> could be done with a current shunt, a fast ADC, some math in an FPGA,
>> a fast DAC, and a big power amplifier with big power supplies. Too
>> much work.
>
> Yes, I got part way down the road of designing a gyrator to block
> telemetry signals on a power line comms device.  Soon realised it would
> need lots of power.
>
> Just thinking out loud, and not really a serious suggestion, but would a
> variac with a fixed inductor on the secondary work as a variable
> inductor?  I guess 500:1 would be impossible.

Not a dumb idea at all.  To avoid using a motor to turn it, one or more
transformers with binary-weighted windings and relays, maybe.

The inductance of the transformer needs to be large enough, of course.

I’ve occasionally considered using a transformer to make an isolated
version of a dpot, but it’s never been quite the right solution, mostly on
account of limited inductance.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs  Principal Consultant  ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /
Hobbs ElectroOptics  Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics