Article <ut0eqe$235g8$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ut0eqe$235g8$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Steven G. Kargl" <sgk@REMOVEtroutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Still No X (Re: Catastrophe Re: Proliferating LLVMs)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 03:20:46 -0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 23:57:10 +0000, John D Groenveld wrote:

> In article <usvik9$1pnnp$1@dont-email.me>,
> Steven G. Kargl <sgk@REMOVEtroutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
>>If one is rebuilding everything from ports, then one is
>>not dealing with the nightmare of dependencies from pre-built
>>packages (which may be out-of-sync given the dependency tree
>>and how the ports tree is managed) or from stale things in
>>a search path.  There is also the possibility to tailor the
>
> pkg(8) can clean up outdated dependencies.
> # pkg autoremove

Yep. It works until it doesn't.  The dependency
tree for some ports can be rather involved and
pkg seems to lose track of the entire tree or
the dependencies are never recorded.  Things may
have improved.  I used 'pkg autoremove' once, and
it led to a few broken ports because of missing
shared libraries.

If one is dealing with an unstable system as OP
as indicated.  Started with a completely bare
/usr/local may be prudent.

--
steve