Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ut0u28$25tjs$1@dont-email.me>

From: super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Roku Will Brick Your Device Until You Give Up Your Rights
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 02:40:56 -0500

On 2024-03-15 03:47:52 +0000, BTR1701 said:

> Ever since AT&T's 2011 Supreme Court victory, the courts have declared it
> perfectly legal for a corporation to erode your legal rights using fine
> print. As a result, most every service and company in the U.S. now uses
> contract fine print to try and prevent you from suing the company (either
> alone or in a class action), instead forcing you toward binding
> arbitration, a process that usually favors the company.
>
> Streaming hardware device maker Roku is no exception, having included such
> language in its terms of service since 2019. But the company recently added
> a new wrinkle to the annoying practice: they rolled out a new terms of
> service that effectively blocks you from being able to use your Roku
> streaming device or TV until you agree to the immolation of your own legal
> rights.
>
> The company's terms of service feature a freshly-designed "Informal Dispute
> Resolution" system, whereby anybody who has a complaint about Roku's
> service is required to have a "meet-and-confer" call with Roku lawyers, who
> claim they'll "make a fair, fact-based offer of resolution". If that
> doesn't work, you're sent to binding arbitration. If you disagree, your
> devices become paperweights.
>
> You can still opt out of the arbitration and dispute resolution rules and
> use your device, but it requires sending a written letter (including a
> bunch of personal and device information the company likely already has) to
> a Roku lawyer who may or may not resolve your concerns on a timely basis:
>
> Stephen Kay, General Counsel, Roku, Inc.
> 1701 Junction Court, Suite 100
> San Jose, CA 95112
>
> Not too surprisingly, Roku is refusing to respond to press inquiries as to
> why it thought being a restrictive and obnoxious jackass was a great
> business decision.
>
> https://www.techdirt.com/2024/03/14/roku-will-brick-your-streaming-devices-if-you-dont-agree-to-binding-arbitration/

I logged on to Roku (something I don't do all that often) Thursday and
was presented with some kind of dialog box that said their terms of
service had been updated and I needed to click my consent.

Okay, whatever. <click>

At least it wasn't another software upgrade that was going to take the
usual 15 minutes.