Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ut11qo$j6ia$1@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

From: kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: [Wargamer] Hasbro CEO optimistic about AI in DnD and MTGs future
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 09:45:12 +0100

On 3/14/2024 5:16 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 13:26:50 +0100, kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Source: https://www.wargamer.com/hasbro-ceo-ai-predictions
>>
>> Hasbro CEO optimistic about AI in DnD and MTG’s future
>>
>> Future Dungeons and Dragons and Magic: The Gathering content could come
>>from Artificial Intelligence, if the bets of Hasbro’s CEO are right.
>>

> Well, of course. Why pay salaries to have content hand-created when
> you can instead just have a large-language model algorithm
> regurgitate pabulum? Sure, it will lack originality and character, but
> it's cheap and resembles existing material closely enough that people
> will be fooled into buying it. And once you flood the market with
> enough algorithmically generated content, people will lose the ability
> to discern how generic it all is.
>
> Sure, stuff created by actual humans will be notably better, but
> they'll also cost more, and - sadly - given the choice, people always
> chose the cheaper option... especially if the cheap option is 'good
> enough'.

The question would be though: why should I pay for stuff that just has
been artificially created? More than a few cents at least? If I am
paying for a book I am paying for the copy, yes, but I am also paying an
artisan (multiple ones really) for producing something of value to me.
If there is no actual person involved, why would I pay for it?
Sure people might choose the cheaper option, but the cheaper option in
this case is not "pay for whatever WotC churns out" but "pirate whatever
you need".