Article <ut15ck$279es$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ut15ck$279es$1@dont-email.me>

From: Rolf Mantel <news@hartig-mantel.de>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Some traffic stats
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 10:45:33 +0100

Am 15.03.2024 um 08:49 schrieb Catrike Ryder:
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 18:07:02 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>>> Most bicyclists I've heard of ride for recreation, at least in the
>>> USA.

>>> sport noun (GAME)
>>> A1
>>> a game or activity that people do to keep healthy or for enjoyment,
>>> often competing against each other:
>>>
>>> sport noun (PHYSICAL ACTIVITY)
>>> A1
>>> all types of physical activity that people do to keep healthy or for
>>> enjoyment:
>>>
>>> https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/learner-english/sport
>>
>> Riding to work in a Midwest winter is outside that.
>
> True, but in the USA, most who do that have other means to get to
> work, so riding a bike to work in cold and snow is a choice they make.
> If it's not the cost, it must be an enjoyment or health related
> choice.

It can also be an ecological choice, a convenience choice (when cycling
is faster than driving due to traffic jams or a non-road shortcut), and
then "most" is not "all": there are people who (for age reasons or for
health reasons) are unable to drive but able to bicycle.

> But back to the sports issue...
>
> I believe that an activity needn't be competitive to be a sport. Are
> not hunting and fishing sports? How about a little non-competitive
> target shooting?   Hang gliding?  Scuba diving?  non-competitive
> skiing?

Bicycling from A to B has the primary aim of transprotation unless it is
followed more or less immediately by non-cycling trip (e.g. car or
train) from B to A.

Bicycling from A to A clearly does not have the primary aim of
transportation and might be counted as non-competitive sports or as
simple leasure activity.

Similarly, it is up to discussion whether hiking or "having an afternoon
stroll" from A to A is seen as non-competitive sport or as non-sport
leasure activity (this classification might depend on secondary features
like "does the user track the route", "is there a speed-measuring device
present", "how many breaks for what purpose" (e.g. half an hour laying
in the sun or taking pictures are pointers that this might be non-sport).

Rolf