Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ut1toh$2c7c2$1@dont-email.me>

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-03-14 (Thursday)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 09:38:59 -0700

On 3/15/2024 9:07 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> The Twilight Zone S4E01 'In His Image' - DVR
> A scientist (George Grizzard) creates a near-perfect mechanical man
> endowed with all the qualities he feels he is lacking.  (Comcast)
> A young man grapples with an urge to kill and confusion about his
> origins.  (IMDb)
> Trivia: First of 4th series episodes, airing from January to May 1963.
> These episodes were 1hr in length. CBS executives decided to switch the
> show's time, and for this single season, the longer timeslot allowed for
> hour-long episodes
> First episode in which the opening segment features items such as a
> door, a window breaking, and a flying doll.
> When the old lady in the subway mentions the Devil is always around, the
> Devil's clothing ad is always within sight for the rest of the scene.
> The device on the wall in the robot lab was also used as part of the
> Krell machine in Forbidden Planet (1956).
>

> The Twilight Zone S4E02 'The Thirty-Fathom Grave' - DVR
> An American destroyer picks up signals from a submarine that sank 20
> years earlier.  With Simon Oakland, Bill Bixby.  (Comcast)
> As a U.S. Navy destroyer cruises near Guadalcanal in the South Pacific,
> its sonar detects muted but constant hammering on metal undersea. The
> eerie sounds emanate from a submarine on the ocean floor, apparently
> there since World War II. The ship's chief boatswain's mate becomes very
> nervous, having served aboard that sub - and he was its sole survivor.
> (IMDb)
> Trivia: The position of the ship and sub is given as 09°30' N 160°48' E,
> which places them about two miles north of the island of Nura in the
> Solomon Islands, roughly in the middle of the Solomon Sea.
> The exterior shots of the ship used in this episode were of the The
> "Mighty Mux" USS MULLINNIX DD-944, A Forrest Sherman class destroyer.
> The interior shots were done on board the USS-Edson DD946.
> The hull number of the submarine (714) was not actually assigned until
> the USS NORFOLK (SSN-714). That submarine was commissioned in May of
> 1983 and decommissioned in December of 2014.
> Submarine 714 was actually a World War II German vessel that was sunk
> during that conflict.
> Mike Kellin, who plays Chief Bell, was a lieutenant commander in the
> U.S. Navy during World War II.

I know I've watched both episodes but don't really remember either.  I
suspect the hour long episodes got much less air play in syndication, so
perhaps I only watched them two or three times compared to the umpteen
times I watched most of the other episodes.  Just a guess.  I'll get a
better sense once you dive into the other hour longs if they are more
memorable or not.