Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ut4ifs$302fk$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-03-14 (Thursday)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 16:47:56 -0000 (UTC)

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 3/15/2024 10:14 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>>I don't know about civil rights violations but there is such a thing as
>>>a writ of mandamus, which is applied for directly at the appellate
>>>level, and which requests the court to issue a writ ordering the lower
>>>court or some other government official to do their job.

>>But the crime victim is the complaining witness only, not one of the
>>adversarial parties to the criminal case. He lacks standing to file such
>>an appeal.

>>On Rumpole of the Bailey, and a few other procedurals, I'd heard of the
>>British concept of a private prosecution. The crime victim (or estate)
>>can hire a Q.C. to file charges and pursue a case if the Crown
>>prosecution service won't do an adequate job or won't file charges.

>>That's not something we inherited.

>That is one of the functions of US civil cases.

Wrong. Obviously UK has torts and P.I. in civil court.

This is criminal prosecution. The United States has nothing of the kind.

Official UK government Web pages
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/private-prosecutions/private-prosecutions
https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/private-prosecutions