Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ut5edq$35ec8$2@dont-email.me>

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-03-15 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 17:44:41 -0700

On 3/16/2024 4:29 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> I sort of like this movie, but it falls apart in the middle. I've read
>>> that the version distributed in the United States is heavily edited of
>>> the New Zealand version. I've never seen what Peter Jackson intended. I
>>> just looked; there's a director's cut that's 12 minutes longer. Also,
>>> there are two different DVDs for home video, the second with
>>> inferior audio.
>
>> I was hoping for a 4K upgrade.  I heard one was on the way over a year
>> ago but it never materialized.  At least not in the U.S.
>
>>> Any idea what version you watched?
>
>> I watched the director's cut.  I have no idea what was put back in.  I
>> didn't listen to the commentary.  I do remember being less than
>> impressed when I saw the movie in the theater.  Over time I've more or
>> less forced myself to like it.  But part of that might be I've been
>> watching the director's cut.  I think it also helps if you go in knowing
>> what to expect.
>
>> Like you said, I sort of like it.  I honestly don't understand why I
>> don't like it more.  Everything about it really screams great movie,
>> then I actually watch it and the best I can muster is it's OK I guess.
>
>> Now that I think about it, maybe the problem is there are no likable
>> characters in the movie.  I never thought about it before now, but the
>> movie really has no one to care about.  The movie probably would have
>> been significantly better if Michael J. Fox's character was likable.
>> Right from the start his character is being a total jerk to his ghost
>> helpers and he's just in it to rip people off.  And now that I think
>> about it some more, the people he targets are basically widows and
>> orphans!  He has barely any character growth beyond that.  I know by the
>> end he's supposedly a nice guy, but the movie never justifies that
>> change.  It just happens because reasons.
>
> Those are very good points.
>
> His girlfriend's character isn't established and nothing we see tells us
> why they are together. That Jake Busey grabs her doesn't work as well
> because he doesn't seem to care enough about her.
>
> I really wanted more from the Jeffrey Combs scenes because, hey, he
> saved a lousy first season Babylon 5 script, and the obsequious Weyoun
> on Deep Space Nine (not to mention liquidator Brunt). But his character
> just came across as weird without motive.

Yes!  That!  I know they paid lip service about him being undercover,
but he needed way more explanation than that.

>> Who was a mid 90s contemporary who cold have played the part but made
>> the character likable?  Brad Pitt?  Johnny Depp?  Keanu Reeves?  Will
>> Smith?  John Cusack?
>
> Heh
>
> It was the script.

True.  But there's a reason they fired Eric Stoltz and replaced him with
Fox after they had begun shooting Back to the Future.  Same script...but
actor choice matters too.  Although personally, I think I might have
preferred a Stotlz version of BTTF.  Especially for part 3.