Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ut5p0g$3atks$2@dont-email.me>

From: "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Selected programming for March 20-22, 2024
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 20:45:20 -0700

On 3/16/24 7:52 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

> RM: The second half of the week.
>

>          Wednesday, March 20
>

>      Streaming:
>

> Palm Royale     [new]       (12:01 am, Apple TV+)
>
> Apple's new 1969-set comedy about a woman (Kristen Wiig) striving to
> gain entrance into Palm Beach high society is based on the book Mr. and
> Mrs. American Pie by Juliet McDaniel. Along with Wiig, cast regulars
> include Laura Dern, Allison Janney, Ricky Martin, Leslie Bibb, and Josh
> Lucas, while guest stars include Carol Burnett and Bruce Dern. 10
> episodes; the first three are available today, while the rest follow
> once weekly through May 8.

Impressive cast list. But I doubt it's my thing...

> X-Men '97        [new]        (3:01 am, Disney+)
>
> Disney's latest Marvel title offers comic book fans something a bit
> different than the streamer's somewhat lackluster recent MCU entries. In
> fact, it's not part of the MCU at all but instead a revival of Fox's
> 1990s cartoon X-Men: The Animated Series, picking up right where that
> series ended in 1997—with the death of Professor X—and returning some of
> the original voice cast. Season 1 will run for 10 episodes, and a second
> season has already been ordered, though series creator Beau DeMayo was
> fired earlier this month after completing scripts for the second season.
> The original series is also streaming on Disney+.    Two episodes are
> released today, with the rest following once weekly through May 15.

In the parallel universe where I don't have to work, and have unlimited
time, I would have (re)watched the original 1992-97(?) X-Men animated
series (I saw part of the original, but certainly not every episode),
and then followed that up by watching this.

But I don't live in that universe...

>      Broadcast and cable:
>

> Danger on Party Island     (movie)        (8 pm, LMN)
>
> When an introverted lawyer travels to an infamous party island to
> collect her estranged sister’s body, she becomes suspicious of foul
> play. With reluctant help from a local bar owner, she begins to unravel
> the circumstances of her sister’s accident and starts to believe she
> could be next. Stars Lindsey Dresbach, Adam Harper, James Bobo, and Kate
> Dailey.
>
> [A rare Wednesday night premiere on LMN. The LMN schedule lists several
> other premieres this week, but only this movie and "My Father's Murder
> in Greece" on Thursday night are true premieres; the others have
> appeared on the Lifetime Channel.]
>
> https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/danger-on-party-island
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26455960/

It's "Spring Breakdowns" - it's an annual thing on LMN: they run "5
premieres" during the mid-week in March, though only some of the 5
(usually only 2) are "real premieres" (the others are just "LMN premieres").

Anyway, looking forward to this one!

> Wild Cards       (season 1 finale)        (8 pm, CW)

I'll try to remember to catch it on the following Monday...

>          Thursday, March 21
>

>      Streaming:
>

> Road House        (movie)         (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>
> Doug Liman (Edge of Tomorrow, The Bourne Identity) directs a
> streaming-only remake of the 1989 Patrick Swayze-starring cult classic.
> The new film, which deviates a bit from the first one, has been in
> development for over a decade. Jake Gyllenhaal essentially takes over
> the Swayze role and plays a former UFC fighter now working as a bouncer
> at a Florida Keys dive bar. Billy Magnussen, Jessica Williams, Darren
> Barnet, Lukas Gage, Arturo Castro, and actual UFC champion Conor
> McGregor (in his film debut) also star.    2h 1m.

I will probably check this out at some point...

> 3 Body Problem        [new; complete season 1]         (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> The new series from Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B.
> Weiss—here teaming with writer Alexander Woo (True Blood, The Terror)—is
> an adaptation of the wildly popular sci-fi book series Remembrance of
> Earth's Past by Chinese author Cixin Liu that traces events following
> mankind's first communications with extraterrestrial intelligence.  How
> will this English-language adaptation tackle a story that features
> mostly Chinese characters and eventually spans many centuries? The
> latter question remains to be seen—Season 1 looks like it is sticking
> with the Hugo Award-winning first book, which begins in the 1960s and
> doesn't head too far into the future. But casting appears to have an
> international emphasis, with stars including Rosalind Chao, Benedict
> Wong, John Bradley, Eiza González, Liam Cunningham, Jess Hong, Jovan
> Adepo, Saamer Usmani, and Jonathan Pryce. Eight episodes.

I'm not necessarily hearing great things about this...

> Paradise      (movie)       (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> When corrupt officials cover up the murder of Ella’s father, she cuts a
> swath through the anachronistic underbelly of her small island town.
> Stars Patricia Allison, Tate Donovan, and Tia Carrere; 1h 23m.

If this is a "revenge flick", I might be interested...

>      Broadcast and cable:
>

> My Father's Murder in Greece       (movie)       (8 pm, LMN)
>
> When Allie’s father George takes her on a celebratory trip to Greece to
> discover her familial roots, George soon ends up murdered and Allie must
> uncover long-kept family secrets if she’s going to bring the killer to
> justice. Stars Cass Huckabay, and Maeve Quinlan.

Intending to watch (or at worst record) this...

>          Friday, March 22
>

>      Streaming:
>

> Davey & Jonesie's Locker        [new; complete season 1]        (12:01
> am, Hulu)
>
> The original series follows Davey and Jonesie, two lovably eccentric
> best friends who have always felt out of step with their peers and the
> banal backdrop of their high school existence. So, when they discover
> their locker is actually a portal to the multiverse, they’re more than
> ready to escape their teenage prison of mediocrity in favor of new
> horizons. But the joke is on them when they only end up in bizarre,
> alternate versions of their high school, surrounded by offbeat versions
> of their classmates. Fortunately, these audacious and creative besties
> are ready to make the most of this vacation from reality by leaving
> their mark on every universe they visit...even if it means choosing
> interdimensional chaos while they’re at it. 10 episodes.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHDJqSojwoE
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28082724/

Canadian. And starring no one you've ever heard of...

> Anatomy of a Fall [Anatomie d'une chute]      (movie; streaming
> premiere)       (12:01 am, Hulu)
>
> For the past year, Sandra, her husband Samuel, and their eleven-year-old
> son Daniel have lived a secluded life in a remote town in the French
> Alps. When Samuel is found dead in the snow below their chalet, the
> police question whether he was murdered or committed suicide. Samuel's
> suspicious death is presumed murder, and Sandra becomes the main
> suspect. What follows is not just an investigation into the
> circumstances of Samuel's death but an unsettling psychological journey
> into the depths of Sandra and Samuel's conflicted relationship, while
> Daniel faces a moral dilemma as the main witness. French film; 2h 31m.

Oh, boy, that sounds like tough sledding!!