Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ut7oma$3ojku$1@dont-email.me>

From: The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: No fault cell phone law
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 14:52:08 -0700

On 3/17/24 2:12 PM, Andrew wrote:
> Stan Brown wrote on Sun, 17 Mar 2024 09:03:20 -0700 :
>
>> There is no such thing as "an automobile driver with
>> the right of way."
>
> First, anyone who claims cellphones raise the accident rate, is a moron.
> (see below for the reason why I say that with confidence)
>
> Second, jaywalking is a basic right back east in NYC or Boston for example,
> where jaywalking laws are like immigration laws are in California and like
> blue laws laws are in Connecticut, where those laws are on the books, but
> they're not enforced by the police (so it's as if it's quasi legal).
>
> The only rule of the driver is to get as close as he can to the jaywalker,
> without actually striking him (but to strike a bit of fear in his heart so
> that the jaywalker "knows" the vehicle could kill him if it wanted to).

That's generally known as "keeping him honest".  There are a number of
sports variants -- a sudden dropshot from the backcourt in tennis, for
instance.

> On the other hand, the job of the jaywalker, if the car comes "that" close,
> is to slam his open hand on the side of the fender (usually the back
> quarter panel due to the moving ergonomics of the encounter) and then with
> that same hand make a familiar gesture toward the receding driver who, in
> NY doesn't even think about it, as they each made their point in turn.

Same thing.

>> It's basic driver's ed. You NEVER "have" the right of
>> way. Instead, there are various situations where you
>> must yield the right of way. You only proceed when none
>> of those situations exist.
>
> Thirdly, as in sailing, there are rules, and then there are practical
> rules, where a sailboat yields to a tugboat towing a barge or to a large
> container ship just as a speedboat yields to a sailboat even if they are
> positioned correctly in the red right return channel.
>
>> One of those situations, of course, is a pedestrian in
>> your path. No matter how heedless or annoying they may
>> be, you have no right to hit them with your vehicle or
>> even drive in a way that threatens to do so.
>
> Fourthly, most people don't know the laws, where, in California, the
> instant the pedestrian's foot touches the pavement, the driver can't even
> proceed until both feet leave the pavement on the other side,

Can you give me a cite for that?  I've often wondered about the
wait-requirement for the little old lady on the far side of the 6-lane
street who will need 3 cycles to actually make it across the street.

> even though
> the calculus of the busy driver is such that the pedestrian has crossed the
> midline of the road halfway across and then the driver "thinks" it's legal
> to proceed.

I figure I can go if there's no chance I could hit him even if he
suddenly broke into a sprint.

> [...]
> stats for all 50 states since the 1920s, and there is absolutely no bump,
> no spike, no jump... absolutely NOTHING WHATSOEVER in the normalized
> accident rates for ANY STATE IN THE USA for the period before, during and
> after cell phone use came into existence.
>
> I need to repeat that.
> And I need to make the statement very strong.
>
> It's all about MATH.
> Stan... You know math, right.
>
> Where are the increase in the accident rates?
> They do not exist.
>
> That's why people who say cellphones cause accident rates to go up are
> ALWAYS utter morons (usually their IQ doesn't approach that of normal
> people). They can't comprehend math.
>
> Only very stupid people say cellphones cause the accident rate to go up.
>
> First off, cellphones ARE a distraction.
> Yet, they're just one more of many.
>
> Where people handle distractions while driving all the time.
>
> Next off, sure, they "seem" to the ignorati to "cause" accident rates to go
> up - and yet - like the Fermi Paradox - where are the accident rates going
> up?
>
> Not in the United States they didn't.
> Not even a blip.
>
> Why is that?
>
> Anyone who claims cell phones increase accident rates is an utter moron.
>
> Sure, it sounds like it should do it. I agree. Even I (a rather well
> educated person, would "think" or "assume" or "guess" that it should since
> it's clearly an "added distraction") but guess what.
>
> They don't.
> They never did.
>
> There is a GOOD REASON why and it has everything to do with how "good
> drivers" handle "distractions" (of which they have identified the top 20 at
> the NJTSA, where all cell phones did was knock one off the top ten and
> insert themselves into that top ten - which doesn't change the accident
> rate.
>
> Notice I'm saying there is no mathematical evidence in the United States
> (nor in Australia, for that matter) that cell phones did anything
> whatsoever to the already existing (slowly lowering over time) accident
> rate (which is normalized for miles driven) in all 50 states.
>
> Oddly, in the UK, cell phones DID increase the accident rate (which is
> strange, so I suspect the stats are compiled by an agency with an agenda).
>
> Notice though that you can't ever find a reliable statistic that refutes
> what I say EXCEPT from three agencies which have an axe to grind.
>
> 1. Insurance companies (who benefit from tickets penalizing drivers)
> 2. Police agencies (who benefit from tickets penalizing drivers)
> 3. Lawyers (who benefit from tickets penalizing drivers)
>
> But if you ignore those biased sources, and if you stick to the USA (which
> has had good census bureau stats since the 1920s), there is zero evidence
> that cellphones did anything to the accident rate.
>
> The reason is simple.
>
> The distraction simply displaced one of the other top ten distractions.

One thing I noticed -- the sudden decrease in peripheral perception
(different from vision, I think) when I picked up the phone to answer
it.  I did this once, when I first got a cellphone.  Never again.  I
rarely need to make/receive calls so ignoring or pulling over just isn't
a big deal.

--
Cheers, Bev
   "Attention: All virgins report to Paradise immediately!!