Article <uta80m$c43c$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uta80m$c43c$1@dont-email.me>

From: none <hzcnjkx656@tormails.com>
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: Re: sender rewrining advice
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 21:25:57 +0100

> I do SRS on recipients that aren't in class w.  So the method I'm using
> wouldn't work for you as things going from MX to LOCAL would be
> re-written using the method that I'm using.  Though there is a chance
> that LDAP routing might change this.
>
>> - on the mx server I want to decide what messages are for local
>> delivery and what go to external.
>
> I'm going to assume that you have an email route (mailertable?) for
> things going to LOCAL and a fall back smart host configuration going to
> OUTGOING.

yes mailertable, but no fall back at all.

> How are you dealing with the routing to LOCAL today?  mailertable and /
> or LDAP routing and / or something else?

mailertable, only a few entries in LDAP routing

>> Normally I have to first relay the message to a local host, where in
>> the virtualuser table I have an entry to deliver to an email address.
>> I prefer to skip this. What could I use on the MX host? LDAPRoute?
>
> Please elaborate on what you are doing today.

I am not really doing anything yet. I have some people on LOCAL using
forwarding, which are starting to generate spf bounces.

But in the near future I would like to offer an email address that is
forwarded, that I configure and not some users turning it off/on.
I tested a bit with ldap routing. I would be able to forward remotely
via MailLocalAdress and MailRoutingAddress

test@gmail.com -> test@me.com received at MX -> test@guerrillamail.com

I think it would be nicer if I could skip processing on LOCAL.

There will be email addresses on this @me.com that are just delivered to
regular mailboxes on LOCAL.

>> - I prefer the messages to be routed via the 'OUTGOING' service
>> Because the MX are not specified in spf records. Assuming that such
>> envolopes 'SRS0=HHH=TT=example.org=alice@example.com' are still being
>> checked on spf.
>
> I don't see any problem with sending all messages leaving your
> environment via OUTGOING.  I'd have to look up to see which is the
> better way to do that; fall back smart host or smart host or something
> else.

I have limited experience with smart hosts. Only used in situations
where all traffic is forwarded.

>> - on the 'OUTGOING' I only have dkim signing
>>
>> I guess best would be to first do some routing and then on the
>> 'OUTGOING' do the sender rewriting. Anyone already doing something
>> like this?
>
> You could apply the same type of sender rewriting that I'm doing on your
> OUTGOING host.  Assuming that there is exceedingly little that is
> delivered locally while everything else is going off host.

I think I have fair amount of local deliveries also on OUTGOING. What is
the problem with local delivery and SRS? I thought the SRS milters could
be given something like ip ranges to determine what is local and not?

> Even if .forward type activity for root et al. on OUTGOING going back to
> MX -> LOCAL shouldn't be a problem if it's rewritten via SRS.

Yes that would be my 2nd point of attention. Handling these user
forwards correctly. But I thought focussing on just forwarding at the MX
would be easier for now.